Helpful
Replies

CBS350-24P-4X Rackmount disalignment

florida1024
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I'm a bit confused...

I recently got a CBS350-24P-4X 1U managed switch, which comes with a wall-mount/rack-mount (I guess?) kit and I'm wondering, how I could manage to install this kit onto the device in order to align the rackmount-ears to the device's front?

The drilled screw holes would only allow a ~1 inch (2.5 cm) disalignment towards the rack front or am I missing here something?!

Please give me some advice,

Flo

80 Replies 80

salmify
Level 1
Level 1

Has there been any update on this? I would really like  the flush rackmount ears for my new CBS350-24t-4x. I am waiting 

MaartenE
Level 1
Level 1

It is a pity that obviously, Cisco isn't taking this problem for a lot of us seriously. Shame that we have to solve this design flaw ourselves.

I will have a pair of flush brackets custom made later this week for the 8 port switch, will keep you posted.

MaartenE
Level 1
Level 1

Frantic Bruticus-Migelo.png

MaartenE
Level 1
Level 1

I had these made for the smaller 8 or 16 port switches. I needed 4 brackets for 2 switches, have 8 pairs for people interested. PM if you’re interested, will post on Ebay as well. 

858D998B-77BC-4BE3-A64D-1068FB465834.jpeg

jshafer817
Level 1
Level 1

I want to express my EXTREME fustration over this issue. I wasted 3 hours today driving to a custom metal fabrication company but they got cold feet when they realized I just needed 2 out of a sheet. G*d D*mnit Cisco. This rack is for a TCU project, and i picked it because it was WHITE. I will be sure to tell everyone my disdain over this experience. Thanks! TCU is purple and white and I PAINTED a rack white, a rack shelf white, etc, etc. ALL MY CABLES AND KEYSTONE JACKS ARE PURPLE. Thanks for making my life a living hell. This is recently purchased and is a 48 port model. You would think a $1500 switch would come with a flush mount. After this project is finished, I will think twice about buying a Cisco switch. This sounds about right, I haven't purchased a Cisco anything since a WRT54GL. I am still waiting for my white leviton and I added a DVR and a Fortinet router with mount I am changing red to purple. For shame. I am adding blanks, stickers, flags.... u make my life suck Cisco!!!! No telling what happens when I actually try to use it. I will be sure to disable any spanning tree stuff. This dental office cost a LOT to build.. Like... a LOT. We WILL get this done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lpw3yMCWro

asdfasdf.jpg

I appreciate you passion and I share your frustration with the physical hardware design but.....

I hope you realize that you're not doing yourself any favors by stating that you pick your network equipment based off of color and my guess is you don't understand spanning tree at all, hence your desire to disable it.  

That being said, best of luck on your project

Thanks! I don't care. This is a dental office that is very nice and the dentist waited years for the land and etc. He asked about a TCU theme and so HERE WE ARE. What will they do, NOT make a rack mount? OH wait.

If someone could share an STL file that would be GREAT. 

jshafer817
Level 1
Level 1

Status update. Waiting for Decals and Rack mount.tcu rack.jpg

YAY! Thanks to Walter Mork Sheet Medal and Mzt834's help.

flush.jpg

flush2.jpg

flush 3.jpg

Please take note CISCO... I too have this issue.. brand new and received (manufactured 20221103) CBS350-48T-4X with brackets that mount the switch in front of the rack by an inch. As others have said, this leaves limited space for the fibers when connected to the SFP+ ports.  I'm a bit frustrated with this.   Did anyone have any reasonable solutions to get better rack mount ears that sit normally flush with the rack?

howardsimons
Level 1
Level 1

I just stumbled on this topic and glad I did. I would have been disappointed to have received switches with this racking issue so I have decided not to place an order.   I guess with it being 2 years since the OP, it is unlikely there will be improved rack ears on current models.   

Yep, seems so... Sad...

rob.h.au
Level 1
Level 1

We've had no option but to have them fabricated. If anyone is interested in some of these and they're in Australia, we're doing an initial run of 80 and they'll be laser cut from mild steel sheet, folded, then powder coated white. We'll then source different screws as the holes won't be counter sunk on these. Should have a sample run in a week or so.

Hey Rob, do the new fabricated brackets have the part that fills the two notches on the switch (to add more support since they are just using two screws per side now)?  Also, any idea of the cost for getting a pair? Or where one could get a quote? Thanks!

Hi Michelle,

No, the brackets don't have the notches, however we've found there is plenty of support with the two screws. As the holes for the screws aren't countersunk, the screw heads do sit proud slightly (by ~1mm), however there is still enough tolerance to be installed between the rack posts.

We're currently using the majority of our run for a project, however we should have a few available. The cost would be AUD$20.00 a pair (inc GST) plus shipping, or free to collect from North Melbourne. Here are a couple of photos showing them on a CBS350-24P. If there is more interest, we can arrange a larger run. At this stage, we would only be able to ship within Australia.PXL_20230123_055729970.jpgPXL_20230123_055736659.jpg