cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 Auto-Image and Auto-Config Update

joshuacmoore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are deploying SG300s in a very expedited, rapid manner. The goal is to have a technician take out an SG300 from a warehouse and have the SG300s auto-upgrade their firmware and download a base config on start-up. The purpose for this is to reduce the need for a network techncian to unpackage the SG300 and pre-provision it before it is installed in the field. We have run into a few issues. See below:

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to auto-upgrade to interim releases. For example, if the firmware is not already at 1.3.7.18 or higher and the boot code is not running sx300_boot-13506.rfb or higher then an interim upgrade is needed to get to the latest 1.4.x release. How do you perform an interim "step-up" firmware upgrade in an automatic fashion?

2. We need to have our SG300s switch to L3 mode in an automatic fashion prior to downloading the config file. How do you do this?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

mecampos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you are doing well, based on your question and the documentation of the SG300 series, the auto firmware upgrade is a feature that is not supported nor available on the SG300 series.

If you have any further questions you can always contact us at : 1-866-606-1866.

Have a great day! 

This is not true. Please see the administration guide below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/Cisco_300Sx_v1_4_AG.pdf

Page 59:

Auto Image Update—Automatic downloading a firmware image from a remote TFTP/SCP server. At the end of the Auto Configuration/Image Update process, the device reboots itself to the firmware image.

Hello,

My apologies if the answer provided previously was not complete, since you mentioned: " if the firmware is not already at 1.3.7.18 or higher and the boot code is not running sx300_boot-13506.rfb" I was referring to any device not running at least boot version 1.3.5.06 will not have the option of auto firmware upgrade, so the best way to resolve this would be manually upgrading those devices to boot version 1.3.5.06 and then configuring  the Auto Image Update.

Have a nice day! 

Ok. What about the latter question I had?

2. We need to have our SG300s switch to L3 mode in an automatic fashion prior to downloading the config file. How do you do this?