cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SLM248G switch with Apple Airport Extreme

zerocool12
Level 1
Level 1

To anyone, in our office we have an Internet connection 20Mb upload and 20Mb download from XO our ISP provider.

When my users connect using an ethernet cable to there laptops they get a speed of 18.34 download and 18.15 upload ping 7ms according to Speedtest.net.

But when they connect using the wifl Access point Apple Airport Extreme  they get the download speed 10.7 Mb and upload 14.5 Mb.

Why such a difference in speed to the Internet? Is there a setting on the port on the Cisco SLM248G that I need to set for which the Access point is connected to. Here is a screen shot below showing the current settings.

Any help appericated.

1.JPG

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business switches". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Zero, this is probably a question better served for Apple, who support the Airport. If you connect a computer to the port where the Airport has been connected, do you see a difference or is it the same as if you were connected to the Wifi?

You can try setting the switch port to 100 full to get rid of auto negotiation and see if it helps any. May also try upgrading the firmware on the switch if you feel it is the problem.

But if connecting to the same port the Airport has been to doesn't produce the same results then I would recommend troubleshooting the Airport and possible wireless interferences.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello Tom

I connected my laptop directly into the port the Apple Airport Extreme was plugged into and ran the Speedtest.net and the download speed download speed was 18.5 and upload speed was 18.15. I plugged the Apple airport Extreme back into the port and on the SLM248 Managed console turned off the auto negotiation and switched it to 100 Full and I still got the download speed of 4.35 Mbps and upload speed of 6.63 upload.