Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 3 Cisco SG200-26P

ciscorooky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have 3 new Cisco Switches SG200-26P and I want to connect the 3 switches so they can see each other, but I have a lab, an office and a library where each place has about 10 computers, so I want to have each area on 3 different vlans, for example: All the computers that belongs to the Lab I want to have them in my vlan 5, all the computers in the office in my vlan 10 and all the computers in the library in my vlan 15. Is this possible? Can anyone of you please help me giving me an example on how to make the configuration.

Thanks in advance!!

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

From reading your post it sounds like you would like to have 3 different VLANs to isolate the three different geographic locations. 

One big question here is whether your router is VLAN capable or not.  Without a VLAN capable router you won't be able to set this up, because something will have to do the routing between these VLANs if they need to communicate, or to NAT/PAT the traffic out to the internet.  This layer 2 switch is unable to do that.

As far as the switches go, I would recommend the following steps, with a link to the knowledge base on how to complete the steps.

1. Before connecting them to anything, log into each switch individually and setup the management IP address you would like to use for each of them.   SB Knowledge Base Article

2. Create the three VLANs on all three switches.      SB Knowledge Base Article

3. Setup the links between all the switches as trunk ports, with the same untagged and tagged VLANs configured on both ends of the link.    SB Knowledge Base Article

4. Configure each switch port that will connect to hosts as an access port with the VLAN they should be in as the untagged VLAN or PVID.  See above link on port VLAN configuration.

The only step left then is to configure your router to handle the routing for those VLANs, and setup the port connecting to our switches as a trunk with the same tagged and untagged VLANs as the SG200s.  Since I don't know what router you have I cannot give you specifics on that one.

If you need any more help with this you can also call in to the Cisco Small Business Support Center, your new switches do come with 1 year of technical support.

Small Business Support Center Contact Numbers

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

----

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center