Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring layer 3 LAG across two SG300

Lee Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. 

I'm trying to configure and route over a lag between two SG300 switches, rather than "stack" them together.

I have watched a lot of youtube videos and read articles on how to do this, but their subjects are based in the Catalyst world and I know that someone of the options they use are not even available on SG300 switches, (e.g. routed ports).

I really wish I had lab gear to do this one, but its my actual home network, so I can't go too crazy breaking stuff, otherwise the family will go nuts.

(hint hint, send me lab gear)

So, my plan was to create a VLAN just for the lag and assign the lag to the VLAN (VLAN 101) and then create a route on each switch, pointing to the IP of the SVI of the adjacent switch.

I've also seen it where, instead of assigning a lag to a VLAN, you hardcode the IP's to the lag, and then create routes pointing, again to the physical lag ip of the adjacent switch.

Also, to LACP or not?

Which method is the correct way, given the functionality available on SG300 series.

Also, I don't see options for a "NATIVE" VLAN so I assume you have to add VLAN1 untagged to trunks.  Can I create my own native VLAN?

This is fun, thanks.

1 Reply 1

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

I have 1 SG300 switch in layer 3 mode.  I use route statements pointing to IP networks and IP addresses which seems to work fine. I have been using it for several years now.  There is no routing protocol in the SG300 switches.  I use VLAN1 for the management and default VLAN.  

I use a router VLAN to isolate all router communication.  This keeps the router from waiting on Windows machines being chatty.  Not sure how you plan to handle your router with dual layer 3 switches.

I don't see why your plan will not work.