Views
Helpful
Replies

Create 2 VLAN (VLAN 1 & VLAN 2)

kippykoppy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

i need help and advice with my new Cisco SF300-48. I want to create 2 vlan (vlan 1 & vlan 2). The switch is set at layer 2.

example :

vlan 1 (port 1, 2, 3) , vlan 2 (port 4, 5, 6)

vlan 1 can communicate each other (port 1, 2, 3) and vlan 2 can communicate each other (port 4, 5, 6)

But vlan 1 cannot communicate with vlan 2.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Johan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, as far as I understand the post, a communication between the VLANs is not needed. The thing is, that all ports in one VLAN (for example VLAN 1 with ports 1, 2 and 3) can't communicate with each other. Have you checked the port/VLAN configuration (right VLAN configured for each port / right configuration regarding tagged/untagged)?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hypercliq
Level 1
Level 1

You either need to set the switch to Layer 3 switching mode or you need to add a router to the mix.

sorry, i need to explain more..

i just want to create 2 vlan, the condition are :

1. ports in vlan 1 (1,2,3) can communicate each other, example : port 1 can ping with port 2

2. i want vlan1 cannot communicate with vlan 2

The problem is : 3 ports (1,2,3) in vlan 1 cannot communicate each other, and 3 ports (4,5,6) in vlan 2 cannot communicate each other too. i cannot ping from port 1 to port 2 in the same vlan 1.

Hi Johan,  in a layer 2 environment VLANs are designed to not be able to communicate to each other. For intervlan communication, it requires a layer 3 device.

If you have the switch with 2 computers connecting on the different VLAN with no other devices connected, vlan 1 talks to vlan 1, vlan 2 talks to vlan 2. A router would have to be able to route between the VLANs. However, the router would have to support 802.1q and either trunk or sub interfaces to make it possible for the VLANs to communicate.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Well, as far as I understand the post, a communication between the VLANs is not needed. The thing is, that all ports in one VLAN (for example VLAN 1 with ports 1, 2 and 3) can't communicate with each other. Have you checked the port/VLAN configuration (right VLAN configured for each port / right configuration regarding tagged/untagged)?