cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable STP on SG200?

mdschomburg
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect an SG200 to a customer's existing network. The customer does not want to receive any bpdu frames from the SG200. The customer's port has bpdu guard configured to err-disable their port upon receipt of a bpdu.

How do I completely disable spanning tree on the SG200 so that it does not send any bpdus?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

BPDU Filter would disable sending/recv'g (processing) any BPDUs I believe.

Its the equipvilant of turning off spanning tree.

I have never worked on that model, but found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sg200/administration_guide/78-19562.pdf

page 119 has your answer.

Edit: On page 121 its list how to disable spanning tree per port.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

BPDU Filter would disable sending/recv'g (processing) any BPDUs I believe.

Its the equipvilant of turning off spanning tree.

I have never worked on that model, but found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sg200/administration_guide/78-19562.pdf

page 119 has your answer.

Edit: On page 121 its list how to disable spanning tree per port.

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Mike,

you should not disable STP functionality on switch because it prevents forming loops. So customer switch port connected to your swtch should be configured respectively.

I think you cannot disable STP on whole switch. You can just stop it on port basis with this commands.

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

But i strongly do not recommend it to you.

Jan

Hello

I agree with JAN

I wouldn't disable STP  also BPDU filtering, If applied on a interface,  will filter BPDUs regardless of portfast operational state - as stated, Its the same as disabling spanning tree on that port and could result in spanning-tree loops.

I suppose you could use the switch as a hub switch and attached it via a access port assigned to one specific vlan, but again its really not recomended.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul