cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESW 520 give priority to IP addresses

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a LAN with private IPs for the computers, and public, static IPs for the VoIP phones. They are a Hosted VoIP provider, and I want to give priority to the public IPs with my ESW-520-48P switch. How do I implement that in this switch?

I have no roles assigned on the ports and no VLANs setup either. I had tried segregating the VLANs first, but eliminated that route. It's all VLAN 1 now in the switch again. For some reason when I implemented VLAN 100 for voice, voice stopped working on the phones, but data was still fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi netguy,

QOS by rewriting the DSCP  (Differentiated Services Code Point) of a  IP phone range by;

1. creating a ACL that specifies the IP range with reverse masking

2. Attaching that ACL to a advanced Class MAP and then

3. attach a class map to a QOS policy table that is configured to  set the DSCP to a new value

4. attaching a QOS policy to a interface

5 But you have a default Advanced QOS configuration already in place, so that has to be modified or deleted.

It's  tough if you have never played with Advanced QOS  before or understand the last five statements.

I guess your hosted IP phones have  DSCP (Differentiated Services Code Point)  settings already set on the IP phones or settings that  you can set directly to each IP phone ?

If that is possible, why not just put the switch into basic QOS mode and then tell the switch to trust DSCP.

That's far the easiest thing to do.

regards Dave

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi netguy,

QOS by rewriting the DSCP  (Differentiated Services Code Point) of a  IP phone range by;

1. creating a ACL that specifies the IP range with reverse masking

2. Attaching that ACL to a advanced Class MAP and then

3. attach a class map to a QOS policy table that is configured to  set the DSCP to a new value

4. attaching a QOS policy to a interface

5 But you have a default Advanced QOS configuration already in place, so that has to be modified or deleted.

It's  tough if you have never played with Advanced QOS  before or understand the last five statements.

I guess your hosted IP phones have  DSCP (Differentiated Services Code Point)  settings already set on the IP phones or settings that  you can set directly to each IP phone ?

If that is possible, why not just put the switch into basic QOS mode and then tell the switch to trust DSCP.

That's far the easiest thing to do.

regards Dave