cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fan Control for SG300-28PP Managed Switch?

grahama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

In general my SG300-28PP is serving my needs really well but the fan is really noisy! Is there any way to control the fan speed or better yet turn it off?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is not something we can find even in more powerful switches and IOS based switches so, I dont believe you can do this.

If possible, probably will be in Nexus switch or devices for Data Centers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

You can not turn if off and you should not if you can.  Check your switch first and make sure everything is OK.  Look the CPU utilization and Fan status. Thermometer status.

You know that the Fan work to cooler the device, right? If the Fan is worknig too much, you may have some problem on the switch. For example, high CPU utilization or the switch is installed in the wrong location with no cooler.

If you checked all that and everything seems ok and the Fan is still screaming, then you may have a faulty hardware.

fan_status.JPG

cpu-util.JPG

That's really useful info thank you. Yes I do know that the fan is meant to cool the unit but I'm using it in a low level domestic setting and I was hoping to there was a fan control setting so that I could at least notch it down a bit. I don't think there's a hardware fault, I think it's possibly the wrong product for the wrong setting and that it's just a bit overkill for what I need. I'll check the CPU utilization, fan status and thermometer status to be sure though. But am I right in saying there's no fan control and that it's just 'on'?

This is not something we can find even in more powerful switches and IOS based switches so, I dont believe you can do this.

If possible, probably will be in Nexus switch or devices for Data Centers.