cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find out my DHCP server?

kraljmase
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, noob here pls don't be too harsh.

I have a kind of a small business setup with about 20 workstations and a physical server with some (yet unidentified) virtual machines.

Domain controller is not some local sever, it is cloud-based: MS Entra ID - if this is relevant.

Our local network is segregated into several subnets.

I am trying to find out what is our DHCP server.

When I enter the command ipconfig /all from 10.79.8.0 255.255.255.0 network, I get DHCP server's IP address 10.79.8.254.

When I enter the command ipconfig /all from 10.79.11.0 255.255.255.0 network, I get DHCP server's IP address 10.79.11.254.

When I enter the command ipconfig /all from 10.79.16.0 255.255.255.0 network, I get DHCP server's IP address 10.79.16.254.

When I look for this DHCP address (regardless of which one I look for; 8.254 or 11.254 or 16.254 etc), I end up on the GUI of the same Cisco C9300-48P switch.

Does this mean this switch is my DHCP server?

How do I confirm that?

If not, how to find actual DHCP server?

Many thanks and please forgive me for this noob question. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @kraljmase 

There's no noob question ! Welcome to that forum.

It seems like your C9300 switch is acting as a DHCP server for your local network. 

Enter that command 'show ip dhcp poolto see if there are any DHCP pools configured on the switch. If there are, it confirms that the switch is indeed serving DHCP requests.

By a 'show run' command you will see also the DHCP server configuration.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @kraljmase 

There's no noob question ! Welcome to that forum.

It seems like your C9300 switch is acting as a DHCP server for your local network. 

Enter that command 'show ip dhcp poolto see if there are any DHCP pools configured on the switch. If there are, it confirms that the switch is indeed serving DHCP requests.

By a 'show run' command you will see also the DHCP server configuration.

Best regards

Excellent, thank you very much! Indeed, there is a number of DHCP pools when I run 'show ip dhcp pool.

One more question, please: I mentioned whenever I type DHCP address in the browser (regardless of which one I look for; 8.254 or 11.254 or 16.254 etc), I end up on the GUI of the same Cisco C9300-48P switch.

How is this configured? That multiple IP addresses all lead to the same switch?

@kraljmase 

That multiple IP addresses all lead to the same switch? Yes, sir ! All these IP are configured on that c9300. For security purpose you could limit the https access to one of these IP. 

Best regards

I mean, how do you configure multiple IP addresses all leading to the same site?

Sorry can you more elaborate 

Thanks 

MHM

@kraljmase 

All these IP add are hosted by the same equipement, no ? So, since these IP are configured on that c9300, you could access with GUI with one of these IP add.

That's why for that GUI access, it is better to limit this access to one IP only.

Best regards

kraljmase
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I don't know how to express myself well. Thank you for your help.