cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Change the IP on VLAN1 on a SG500-28 switch in L3 Mode

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

I got my hands on an SG500-28 switch which I have setup in L3 mode.  The problem is a cannot change the IP for VLAN1.  It will not let me delete it and setup another VLAN1 nor can I change the IP under edit using the GUI.  I wonder if it has something to do with stacking.  I have a SG300-28 which I changed the IP on VLAN1 in L3 mode.  The SG300-28 has been in use for a couple of years with no problems.  The idea was to configure the SG500-28 with the same IPs and VLANs and then swap switches. 

The SG500-28 switch is configured in standalone mode so stacking is disabled.  I am on the latest firmware 1.4.7.6.

3 Replies 3

farcosre
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hellooo

to elimitate Vlan 1 is not possible, so in order to change the IP address you can access to the switch via console port and execute the follow commands

>enable

#conf t

#interface vlan 1

#ip address (the ip address that you would like)

# no shut

Greetings!

I think it is a bad switch because when I added a second VLAN2 and tried to add an IP address to the VLAN the switch hangs.  I have to unplug the switch to get it to come back.

Here is the order of the steps I have tried using the web GUI.
1.Put switch in L3 mode standalone mode.  works.
2. Change port 1 and 3 to access port.  Just in case there was problem with a port. works.
3. Create VLAN2 and add an access port.  works
4. Assign an IP address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0 to VLAN2. hangs. The only way to get back into the switch is to unplug and wait for the switch to reboot.

Hello,

I hope you are doing well, my name is Jonathan and I am part of the Small Business department here at Cisco.

I apologize for any inconvenience with this unit, below i will leave the link to the admin guide of the unit please check page 327, as well, I suggest to open a case with us to determine what might be the issue with the switch.

Here you have some settings you can check.

-After placing the switch in L3 mode, you can check on IP configuration and then on IPV4 interface, click on add and then select Vlan1 then put a static ip address under the segment that you need it, and see if it overrides the default ip, if you lose access please make sure your computer is under the correct segment. and check if you get replies from a ping to the new ip address.

-if you try to create vlan 2 then you have to assigned either a port on access mode or trunk, to that vlan and when you put an ip address for that vlan if you want to get access you will need to change the ip address on the computer. After that you should get access with vlan 2.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/4626/small-business-service-and-support-country