Views
Helpful
Replies

identifying gray market products

VK-SUMANLAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Recently I ordered 9 cisco 500 series switches and one 2950 series switches with my official supplier. I will receive the shipment by the end of this week.

How we can identify the gray market products? Is there any way of checking serial no on cisco site?

rgds

Sumanlal

9 Replies 9

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

Easiest way is smartnet on the products you purchase. Cisco tracks the serial numbers to smartnet's...

Be careful btw, the 2950 product is EOL and EOS.

The only 2950's that are EOS are-

Cisco Catalyst 2950G 48 EI Switch

Cisco Catalyst 2950G 24 EI Switch

Cisco Catalyst 2950G 12 EI Switch

Cisco Catalyst 2950T 48 SI Switch

Cisco Catalyst 2950T 24 Switch

http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_eol_models.html

All others are OK.

hi you can do one more thing chek the supplier's relation with cisco, if they are resellers or certified partners of cisco, all those you can check from cisco's web site also using the partner locator.

in that way may be they have more previlege and thay can provide more details.

smartnet is a good option, but do it after the first 90 days standard warranty so that you will get a total of 3+12 months warranty.

rate if this helps.

Regards

Binoy.

VK-SUMANLAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

could u tell me about smartnet?. how to search a catalyst 500 series switch to find out it is from CISCO or gray.

there are different types of smartnets available. based on the policy of your network of your network you can decide.

like, 24x7, 8x5xNBD and based on the smartnet type you have to pay also.

that part you can discuss with your vendor.

after getting this contract papers you can register these products in cisco.com.

and in case of any issues you can raise a tac case with cisco, and tac engrs will contact you to solve your issues.

hope this helps.

rate if it helps.

Regards

Binoy

VK-SUMANLAL
Level 1
Level 1

i received the switches (500 series). Can anybody tell me what are the items which cisco shipping with a 500 series switch

thx

suman

suman

i think there will be some small books 1 or 2 books which will give some idea abt how to connect and assigning ip address. rack mounting procedure.

you can find rack mounting kits inside the box.power cord will be there.

for detailed configuration and monitoring you can use Cisco network assistant software i think its freely downloadable from cisco.com

rate if it helps.

Regards

Binoy

hi suman

i think you need a CCO account to download this network assistant software.

pls follow the link www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5931/index.html

if you have a smartnet then also you can download.whats the relation between your company and cisco if u r reseller then u can download. otherwise ask the vendor who supplied the switches to download it and give a copy.

this software will give a nice GUI for monitoring the Switches.

Regards

Binoy.

ellis_b
Level 3
Level 3

if you purchase from a reseller who is purchasing from distribution (ie, ingram micro, techdata, etc) then you should be okay.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI#30482

Network Learning Inc - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

YES! We take Cisco Learning credits!

brad@ccbootcamp.com

www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training and Advanced Technology Rental Racks)

www.routerie.com (Routing and Switching Forums)

www.securityie.com (Security Forums)

www.voiceie.com (Voice Forums)

Voice: 702-968-5100

FAX: 702-446-8012