Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Aggregation between SG350XG and SG500

Technokratus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question regarding Link Aggregation between a SG350XG and a SG500 switch.

To the SG350XG are some servers with 10GB ethernet connected while the clients are connected to the SG500.

If I understand the Cisco LAG I could use e.g. a LAG with two active 1GB members to get a total bandwidth of 2Gbps, right?

But after I created the LAG between the SG350XG and the SG500 it shows one active and one standby member. LACP is disabled and this LAG is not a protected LAC. I use port XG12 (SFP) and XG10 (RJ45) on the SG350XG.

If I create a LAG between two SG500 using the same configuration (also one SFP and one RJ45 interface) both interfaces are active members.

1) Is a LAG with two active members between the SG350XG and the SG500 possible?

2) Is there a better way to connect both switches for a maximum bandwidth?

Regards

Chris

4 Replies 4

asuseela
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for using Cisco Small Business Support Community.

•         Is a LAG with two active members between the SG350XG and the SG500 possible?

Answer: Yes, LAG two active members are possible between the SG350XG and the SG500 if the LAC is disabled i.e. by using static LAG.

•     Is there a better way to connect both switches for a maximum bandwidth?

Answer: What you have tried with LAG is better for maximum bandwidth, but the above mentioned issues may be due to some configuration errors. Hence please share the below details to check further on this issue and I will assist you with the solution accordingly.

>>Please share me both the switches exact product ID, backup configuration along with username and password for LAB test.

>>Please confirm both the switches mode (L2 0r L3).

>>Please share me the current Firmware and boot code version for both the switches.

>>Please share me the SFP module details, which you have tried with LAG.

>>Also share the clear network diagram which describes the LAG ports details.

Hi asuseela,

Thank you for your answer.

>>Please share me both the switches exact product ID, backup configuration along with username and password for LAB test.
SG500:
PID VID:     SG500-28P-K9 V02
SG350:
PID VID:     SG350XG-2F10 V01

Config files are attached, username is cisco and password is Test1234 .

>>Please confirm both the switches mode (L2 0r L3).
SG500:
System Stack Mode:     Standalone     
System Operational Mode:     L2 Mode
SG350:
Not sure how to config / view. Stack Management says the following:
Stack Mode:     Native Stacking
Stack Topology:     Chain
Stack Master:     Unit 1

>>Please share me the current Firmware and boot code version for both the switches.
SG500:
Firmware Version (Active Image):     1.4.2.4
Boot Version:     1.3.5.06
SG350:
Firmware Version (Active Image):     2.0.0.73

>>Please share me the SFP module details, which you have tried with LAG.
ciscoswitch10g:
Port     Description     Serial Number     PID
XG1/11     N/A         N/A         N/A
XG1/12     10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter, passive     TED1726A62D          SFP-H10GB-CU1M
ciscoswitch01:
GE1/27     N/A         N/A         N/A
GE1/28     10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter, passive     TED1726A6R7          SFP-H10GB-CU1M
ciscoswitch02:
GE1/27     10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter, passive     TED1726A6R7          SFP-H10GB-CU1M
GE1/28     10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter, passive     TED1726A62D          SFP-H10GB-CU1M
The N/A SPF Cable should be the following:
10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 3 meter    SLRM195080RD    SFP-H10GB-CU3M

>>Also share the clear network diagram which describes the LAG ports details.

Also take a look at the attached network_diagram.jpg.

ciscoswitch10g:
LAG Name LACP Link State Active Member Standby Member
LAG 7 cs1 Disabled Link Up XG1/9 XG1/11
LAG 8 cs2 Disabled Link Up XG1/10 XG1/12
ciscoswitch01:
LAG 6 cs2 Disabled Link Up GE1/24, GE1/28
LAG 7 cs10g Disabled Link Up GE1/12 GE1/27
ciscoswitch02:
LAG 6 cs1 Disabled Link Up GE1/12, GE1/27
LAG 8 cs10g Disabled Link Up GE1/24 GE1/28

I hope that are the details you need.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your kind response with clear details, based on which I am working on my LAB setup and will update you the status shortly. Thank you for your patience in advance.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your patience, I have tried the same setting in the LAB setup between SG500 and SG350XG-24 and observed no issue with Link aggregation, and can observe both the members are active when the LACP is disabled.

If you're still having problems please reach out to SBSC team, and open a service request. Based on which one of our SBSC Engineer will assist you further on this issue

You can contact our SBSC team either via chat or call support with the help of below links:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/4841/online-chat-support

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html