cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SE2800 and jumbo frames

MikeAlletto
Level 1
Level 1

Does the Linksys SE2800 gigabit 8 port switch support jumbo frames?  Anyone have this switch?  Any issues?  Looking to replace a netgear gigabit switch that likes to forget that it has gigabit machines connected to it.

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael,

Actually had a chat with a colleague at linksys regarding your question, but he referred me to a datasheet, which left me with the question I started with. The technician said yes it suppported Jumbo frames but he could post me nothing in black and white..

Why not look at the Cisco Small Business  umnanaged product the SG100D-08.   It offers as the datasheet suggets;

Peace of mind:

All Cisco 100 Series switches are protected for the life of the product by the Cisco Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty

Also,  even though an unmanaged product, this series supports such features as;

1. Green Energy—Efficient Technology

The Cisco SG 100D-08 switch supports Green Energy-efficient

Technology. It can enter sleep mode, turn off unused ports, and adjust

power as needed. This increases energy efficiency to help businesses use

less power and save money.

2. Jumbo Frame Support

The Cisco SG 100D-08 switch supports frames up to 9,000 bytes called

jumbo frames. Jumbo Frame support improves network throughput and

reduces CPU utilization during large file transfers, such as multimedia files,

by allowing larger payloads in each packet.

regards Dave

I actually looked on that site for the Cisco 100 Series switches, it says there is one model, but when you click on models it doesn't show anything.  I looked up the SG100D-08 and amazon has SD2008T.  Is this the same model just renamed?

Yep correct. 

This new Sx100 series switches are in fact a very new technology switch ,  very different to our older unmanaged switches range.

In moving forward and  for consistancy reasons in part numbering, we kept the old part number but put a 'T' on the end of the part number  to denote, probably new Technology. 

So,  any part number in the unmanaged Cisco Small Business range with a 'T" at the end of the part number means a New technology switch, and very very different to our older unmanaged range. .

I hope this helps explain what you are observing.

So our 100 series, 200 series and 300 series switches are all new technology switches and a refresh of our older switch line.  I gotta say considering the features offered generations ahead of the old switch range.

regards Dave.