Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum distance between 2 Cisco SG550X Ring Stack Units

liquidbunker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I took over one year ago the infrastructure management of a small company as a co-admin and in the meanwhile we extend our Cisco SG550X Ring Stack from 4 Units to 5, 6 and later to 8 Units. All Units (in pairs of 2) reside in different Buildings (4 buildings -> 4 x 2 Units). The distance between the sides is ca. 100 - 250m.

After the implementing of the last 2 Units the Ring becomes more and more instable, users reported about session aborts, longterm (minutes and hours!) transfers of files which took previously seconds etc. After weeks finally in our desperation we changed the Ring mode to Chain. The construct now is halfway performant and stable again, but of course we dropped down our redundance. Anyway, I asked myself in general is it allowed and supported by Cisco to setup a Stack with hundreds of meters between the stack members?

All I can find in the internet to this theme is "build the stack with short links / stack cables (1 - 3 meters)"

(sorry for my bumpy english)

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the point to have stack, if they are reside same place, how you going to achieve the high availability.

if they are different building, i will use standard Trunk config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X