cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new sg350's can only login using console cable

samesdo
Level 1
Level 1

We just bought around 160 Cisco SG350's and I can only login to them using a console cable.  This would be fine if I just had one but I don't want to have to do this 160 times.  I can't login with the default credentials through SSH (Putty) or a web browser (and I've tried them all, believe me, even older versions), it says "Wrong credentials".  I know I'm using the right credentials because they work just fine using a console cable.

I've tried on multiple switches and it's the same with every one.  I'm guessing it's something to with the secure-server setting out of the box rather than the credentials because once I configure one I can login using ssh or GUI just fine.  It says right in the instructions I should be able to use a web browser right out of the box but clearly that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?  I created a template with one of them and I wanted to hand this project off to other people and thought they could just use a web GUI and login to each one and import the template I created and only the IP address would need to be changed for each.  I can't do that if a console cable is required because these aren't Cisco or network people.

Thank you,

Don S.

4 Replies 4

mihail_ip
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Don,

login with console and enable ssh server with the command:

switchxxxxxx(config)# ip ssh server

optionally you can change the default port (22) to your preference (for example 2828):

switchxxxxxx(config)# ip ssh port 2828

Don't forget to save the changes with copy run start or just wr

and then you can login with ssh (using putty for example)

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Mike

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please use the command ‘show users accounts’ on the switch once to see the privilege level configured for those usernames. Also, you may use the command ‘show privilege’ to see the current privilege level for that username.

Users can be created with one of the following user levels:

Level 1 — Users with this level can only run User EXEC mode commands. Users at this level cannot access the web GUI or commands in the Privileged EXEC mode.

Level 7—Users with this level can run commands in the User EXEC mode and a subset of commands in the Privileged EXEC mode. Users at this level cannot access the web GUI.

Level 15—Users with this level can run all commands. Only users at this level can access the web GUI.

You may refer the command line guide for more details…

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/350xseries/2_4_5/cli_guide/sx350/cli_sx350_2_4_5.pdf

Hi,
Thanks for the replies but I think you're missing the point. I don't want to have to use a console cable on 160 switches, and according to Cisco and the instructions that come with this model switch I should be able to put my laptop on the same network and connect to the switch with an ethernet cable right out of the box and use a web browser to configure the switch. I do this and the login comes up but I can't login, it says the credentials are invalid even though I know they're not (the default credentials are cisco, cisco), because if I then use the console cable those same credentials work just fine. If I have to unbox and connect to 160 switches with a console cable I may as well just configure them myself, I want to hand this project off to people who don't understand CLI but could handle GUI.
So my question is, why can't I connect to any new switches using a web browser as Cisco says I can? And as I mentioned, I've tried 4 different web browsers, and even older versions of web browsers.
Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing. It’s sounds like little weird as a brand new 350 series switch should be accessible with default credentials (cisco, cisco), If it is a box pack device then there is almost no chance that the devices credentials will be different from default. Just to cross-verify that, is it possible to hard reset the switch once before you try to access the GUI with default credentials? I hope you have tried with different Laptops/ PCs; if not, then please try that once and clear the web browser cache once. You may open a service request following the below mentioned link to troubleshoot on that issue…

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

You may refer the quick start guide to hard reset the switch…

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/350_/2_3/quick_start/guide/en-US/Cisco350-QSG-en-US.pdf