cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery / Reset to defaults

Joe Mullis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco sg500-52 port running in a stack config with another cisco sg500. I cannot get console access into the box. i have tried turning off the secondary switch and trying to console into the master. i have tried multiple different baud rates but alll i get is a black screen. I need access into this switch but it was setup by a prior IT guy. At this point im ok with factory default and starting over. It has a reset button on the front, is there a way to factory default from the reset button? since i dont have access i cant erase the config file and since i cant get console access i cant access pmon to change the password. Please help !!!

2 Replies 2

Milan Milanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Joe,

Yes, if you press and hold the reset button for more than 10 seconds (until all the LEDs blink simultaneously) this will reset the switch.

Please note that if the switch is not connected to a DHCP server, it will assume its default IP address of 192.168.1.254 with username: cisco / password: cisco

Kind regards,

Milan Milanov

Thank you very much, can you think of any other reason why I cant get access into this switch? it it setup with the sync cable to another switch, I have shut down the other switch, made sure it was set as master and tried to get into it through the console connection but the screen is always just black. I have tried multiple different BAUD rates with no success.. 

I would really like to gain access into the switches to be able to see the configuration but if I have no choice i guess I will have to reset.

Will i also have to do the factory reset on the second switch as well ? 

Thank you for all your help.