cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

password reset for sg300-28pp

cisco-newb
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to log into the switch and I was prompted with a user/password is incorrect message. I have been using a password manager for several years and the credentials for this switch have been in the manager since day one. I logged in and made a change in May of 2017 and it was not a password change.

I have connected via console and tried to connect that way, I was not able to login. 

I have power cycled the switch, no luck. I have also tried the default credentials, which didn't work.

I found this discussion (below) but all I see is scrambled/garbage text during boot up, I don't see a prompt telling me to press Esc or any clear text. I didn't realize putty wouldn't work so I downloaded Tera Term which didn't change the results/outcome.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-support-documents/how-to-recover-a-reboot-loop-on-sx300/ta-p/3134953 

I have never had an issue logging into this switch, I'm not really sure what happened.

The current config appears to be correct (VLANs and all other options appear to be working as originally configured).

I think my only option is going to be a factory reset.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have your console session running at 115200 and reboot the switch. All being well you should see the cisco splash screen and the instructions to enter prom.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

When booting the SG300 uses a baudrate of 115200.  Set your console software to use that speed and you should see the prompt to press Enter or Esc to enter prom.

cheers,

Seb.

I am certain that I tried to connect at 115200 (per the instructions), but it didn't connect (the switch was already booted, at this point). Do I need to ignore that I can't connect (during normal switch operation), power cycle my device, and attempt to connect while the device is booting?

Have your console session running at 115200 and reboot the switch. All being well you should see the cisco splash screen and the instructions to enter prom.

Ok, I will try this and report back. Thank you.

I was able to get to the password recovery section and load the config. However, I can't seem to figure out where the HTTP/HTTPS user/password options are located. Also, I am not sure if I am doing something else wrong, but I can't connect via SSH, it refuses to connect, I don't even get a chance to enter user/pass.

When I am done making changes via the password recovery CLI, I finish with the command 'copy running-config startup-config' and confirm that the save takes. Not sure if something else is needed.

Thanks.

Edit- I figured it out, it was under 'ip http' I changed it to not require a password for http, once I made that change, I was able to login via the browser w/o a password. Once I was in the browser, I set a new password, saved, rebooted the switch, and confirmed it took the changed by logging in with user/password.

I think I also know why my password stopped working. Password Aging is enabled and set with a value of 180. I am not sure if after 180 days it was supposed to ask me to type a new password, the next time I logged in, if it did, I wouldn't have ignored it.

Thanks.