cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up for VOIP VLAN on SG 300

pnlam
Level 1
Level 1

I was told that I need to setup VLAN for my VOIP phone.  On my SonicWall firewall, I setup a separate VLAN 10 with it's own DHCP server.  I was told that on the SG300 each switch port that the phone is plugged in I need to set up to untag VLAN 10 and enable management.  What's the reason behind that?  Can someone explain?  Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

depends on requirement, as per the information most of the use case Phone connected with PC using same port

example reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-smart-switches/smb99-voice-vlan-configuration-on-the-200-300-series-managed-switc.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not clear on "enable management" and what that would mean in this context.

Many IP phones are designed to use a voice VLAN as a tagged VLAN after they hear an advertisement for one, or as configured by the administrator. They otherwise should just use whatever native/untagged network is present.

The SG300 has an auto voice VLAN mechanism that can trigger port configuration based on a few different things, including OUI. I typically try and have that turned off so that nothing unexpected happens if I am not planning to use it.

i take this as default VLAN 1 or any native vlan  "I am not clear on "enable management" and what that would mean in this context."

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help