Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Spanning Tree on a CBS350-48P-4G Switch

FrankB4now
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I purchased two CBS350-48P-4G switches for a project, we are running some A/V equipment through one of the switches and we have Sonos equipment connected.  This is know to cause Multicast storm traffic and degrades the network.  Our automation equipment manufacturer, Elan suggests invoking Spanning Tree Protocol on the switch to avoid degrading the network.  I found a Tech Talk video on setting it up on thins switch.  https://video.cisco.com/video/6310086374112  This describes connecting to the console port of the switch and using Putty to telnet in to program the switch.  I have logged into the UI of the switch to make some other setting changes and there is a whole section on the Spanning Tree Protocol.  Can I make the settings through this interface instead of writing lines of code to send to the switch?  Also I have one port that the Sonos equipment is connected to and I think I should set that port to a specific setting.  I have used Luxul equipment in the past and we would set the Path Cost from auto to specific and set to 10 for any Sonos port.  The STP setting normally is MSTP and 32768.  We would change this to STP and 4096.  I am not sure it this is the same or similar with Cisco switches.  Any guidance is much appreciated.   

1 Reply 1

MikeyS
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get the setup as per requirement?  I'm about to install a CBS350 24 Port switch for home with about 8 Sonos devices.  Other edge switches will be Unifi for a short while, but my understanding is to make sure that the root bridge is set to the lowest rather than the default etc.