Views
Helpful
Replies

SF200 48P....Need some advice

Taxtymeacct
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I currently have a small network that looks like this.....SMC cable modem ( with static IP ) > RVO16> connected to a few printers and computers> 4 port linksys switch> connecting more computers and POS terminal.

That is location A.

I have another location that looks like this..... Cable modem ( dynamic IP) >RVO82 > connected to computers,printers and POS.

That is location B.

The locations are connected through a tunnel that is used daily and extensively.

Heres the change that will occur at location A, I have purchased ip phones and will be adding several new computers,printers. all to be connected to the new  SF200 48P  that I purchased. It was  mainly for the ip phones and the  POE ports but seems like it should work well for the whole network.

Should i be setting up small VLANs for say each office which will consist of an IP phone, computer and printer....there will be approx 8-10 like this.

I want to keep the offices and locations connected, and keep security at a good level. I need the QOS for the ip phones.

Not really sure if I should be using the RVO16.

Was also wondering if maybe the RV180W-A-K9-NA would be a good choice instead of the RVO16 since it also has VPN.

I plan on updating location B with a new switch, IP phones, computers and printers as well.(next year as cost is the factor this year)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve, the RV016 supports multiple subnets and port based vlans only.

The RV180 would handle this traffic much better as it supports the 802.1q vlans.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve, the RV016 supports multiple subnets and port based vlans only.

The RV180 would handle this traffic much better as it supports the 802.1q vlans.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks.....ordered one.