cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300-24 VLAN connected to RV180

sf22334455
Level 1
Level 1

I have a location that had an RV042 and an unmanaged switch. I need to add a second network for some clients of the business and also add that network to the existing AP1240 so I need a second VLAN.

I swapped out the existing router and switch with the RV180 and SF300.  The RV180 is connected to a DSL modem and uses PPPoE. It also has a gateway to gateway VPN setup. I have Internet connectivity and the tunnel is up.

I added another VLAN on the RV180 and set port 1 to be untagged for VLAN 1 and tagged for VLAN 9 and configured another network for VLAN 9 and a DHCP server.

Port 1 of the RV180 is connected to port 1 of the SF300.  That port is set up as trunked and untagged for VLAN 1 and tagged for VLAN 9 . I initially set up port 24 as access and untagged for VLAN 9 and excluded for VLAN 1.  I connected my notebook to port 24 and it never gets an address from the DHCP server for that VLAN. As a test I flipped port 1 of teh RV180 to untagged for VLAN 1 and connected my notebook and it gets an IP address on the corerct subnet and has Internet connectivity.

I reviewed the config on the switch a number of times and also power cycled the switch and the router. I gave my notebook a static address on the correct subnet for VLAN 9 amd connected it to port 24 and I can't ping the gateway.

Connectivity is fine on anyrthing connected to the ports untagged on VLAN1

I attached some screenshots.

Appreciate any ideas.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi S, I am suspecting you are not trying to ping the VLAN 9 gateway address. I suspect you are trying to ping the vlan 1 gateway address and that is failing.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the reply.

The subnet on VLAN 9 is 192.168.9.0 and the gateway is 192.168.9.1

I am sure I was trying to ping the 192.168.9.1 gateway.  I also tried pinging 4.2.2.2 and there was no reply. I can ping 4.2.2.2 from a computer on VLAN 1

The first problem I noticed is that my notebook did not get IP info from the DHCP server on VLAN 9 when I connected my notebook to port 24 which is configured as access and untagged for that VLAN.

As a test I gave my notebook an address for the VLAN 9 subnet and also gateway and DNS info. There should have been Internet connectivity at that point. I think the subnet and DHCP for that VLAN are working properly since I can connect my notebook to the router and set that port to be untagged on VLAN 9 and I have Internet connectivity.

The router and switch config is correct based off the screen shots.

Can you post screen shots of the DHCP sections for vlan 9?

Can you get to the router at 192.168.9.1 to manage it while connect to a vlan 9 port?

Do you have a simultaneous wireless connection anywhere? (Disable wireless adapter if it's turned on).

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Here is the DHCP server info for VLAN 9

I cannot get to the router management. From what I can see there is no connectivity past the switch from my notebook on VLAN 9   

I had the wireless adapter in my notebook disabled. When  I did a ipconfig I see only a 169.x.x.x address. When I set a static IP I saw tha taddress.   

Hi S, can you try a different switchport that is 9 untagged? Can you also verify you are connecting from port 1 of the router to port 1 of the switch?

For giggles, can you also enable the intervlan communication for both vlans on the router?

-Tom

I did verify that port 1 is connected to port 1.  Just to make sure I ran a continuous ping from a computer on VLAN 1 to its gateway and pulled the patch cable from port 1. The computer still had connectivity to internal stuff.

I ran out of time when doing this and need to go back.

I will set another switchport to untagged on VLAN 9 and try it. And also try enabling the intervlan communication to see if it does anything.

I tried some more troubleshooting and no sucess. I decided to thouroughly  check the cables again.  No one was working so I was able to trace out (and label) cables. The cable from port 1 of the router was actually connected to port 6 on the switch. I put it in port 1 and the VLANs are working as expected.