Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300 SFP configuration

CjLennox
Level 1
Level 1

Morning all and Happy Friday!!

I am trying to add a switch into our current environment. A SF300-48pp switch.

I have two comms rooms. One which will be called "Main", and one which will be called "Room2"

In MAIN I have some SF300s already in production which I want to connect to ROOM2 using a fibre in the SFP ports, to a spare factory reset, confirmed working, Bootloader and Firmware updated to latest available, SF300-48PP.

When I connect the factory reset SF300 in ROOM2 to the SFP, it seems to come on,  but then xmas trees after about 30 seconds.

My initial thought is that I need to change the IP address from the default 192..... to match our local IP addressing scheme of 10......, however im not sure its just that simple.

Is anyone able to shed some insight and point me in the right direction?

Full disclosure for what its worth, please bear in mind that while I did a cisco CCNA course about 15/16 years ago, I dont recall much off the top of my head and am pretty much learning on the fly again. Please let me know if you need any more information.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...

When I connect the factory reset SF300 in ROOM2 to the SFP, it seems to come on,  but then xmas trees after about 30 seconds.

My initial thought is that I need to change the IP address from the default 192...

- As you already saying you will at least need to provide it with a valid network configuration , compatible with the current network, before connecting ,  otherwise it will for instance bumb on spanning-tree issues or other (e.g.) - or worse , you may disturb the current network. You also need to make sure that the intended uplink is configured correctly.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

Hi

It seems to me that your are looping your network. This 30 seconds is the spanning tree converging. 

IP config and physical up link are totally different things. 

Revise your connection and open a console session to switch while do the connection. The switch will tell you where it hurts. 

Then you can share the logs for help.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...

My initial thought is that I need to change the IP address from the default 192...

- As you already saying you will at least need to provide it with a valid network configuration , compatible with the current network, before connecting ,  otherwise it will for instance bumb on spanning-tree issues or other (e.g.) - or worse , you may disturb the current network. You also need to make sure that the intended uplink is configured correctly.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Nice thanks. Ill give it a try now.

Hi

It seems to me that your are looping your network. This 30 seconds is the spanning tree converging. 

IP config and physical up link are totally different things. 

Revise your connection and open a console session to switch while do the connection. The switch will tell you where it hurts. 

Then you can share the logs for help.

Awesome. Just waiting for an outage window this afternoon and will it you know how it goes.

CjLennox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chaps, so just to give you an update. The advice you gave KIND of worked, but we defiantly got further than before so thanks for that. It would appear that I have inherited a totally flat network so might need to set static IPs throughout the entire switch estate.

So on one of the two ROOM2 switches, I set up a device that I could ping to check connectivity, and it worked fine locally in ROOM2, but the problem now seems to have moved to MAIN's  three SF300 switches flaking out. Spanning tree again? Who knows. I will investigate but open to suggestions.