Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 200-18 Telnet

nmcmartins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a new user of SG 200-18 but surprised the telnet and snmp fault!

Why SG 200-18 don't have a telnet service  to management?

Is possible to place the telnet service on the next firmware?

And the SNMP?

Thanks,

all regards,

Nuno Martins

6 Replies 6

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nuno,

The 200 series switches are called "smart switches."

They are there to compete with other low priced smart switches in the market place .

Smart switches are usually one step above unmanaged switches and offer management usually only via a GUI interface.

The 300 series switches are fully managed switches and offer management via console, telnet, SSH and HTTP and HTTPS etc...  If you really want telnet and SNMP as a option, I would have to humbly suggest that you look at the 300 series product for your next purchase.

The 200 series product is more cost effective when compared to the 300 series product, because in terms of management features, the 300 series is more flexible compared to the lower priced 200 series switches. See screen capture of a 300 series switch below.  #00 series even has support for IPv6

Sorry, this is probably not the answer you wished to hear.

regards

Dave Hornstein

Hi, Dave Hornstein

The web interface and IPv6 support are excellent, but in my personal opinion the CISCO not lose anything in giving the opportunity for users with less money to use the IOS via cli. Would be excellent for both

Thanks,

all regards,

Nuno Martins

Damn! I bought a SG200-8 because I thought a managed switch can be managed by ssh/telnet too! Ich reached my deadline for return. :-(

There is a serial interface inside, 3.3V, 115200 baud rate where I am able to connect a console - right?

Afterwards I am able to enable the telnet server - right?

But I am not able to increase the maximum number of connections - and that's the "Smart" feature of "Gigabit Smart Switch"?

Hi Stefan, if you would prefer a CLI device, please look in to the SX300 and SX500 series. Or, if available in your area, you can buy SX200E which also has a CLI support.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Yes, there is a 3.3V serial header on the switches mainboard which you could use to attach a serial console to access the switches CLI.

It looks very similar to the CLI from IOS but with some major differencies. But it's almost identical to the LCLI interface from the old Linksys SRW switch series (like the SRW2048) which is in return almost the same like the CLI interface from a Dell PowerConnect 5324.

Unfortunatly there is no possibility to enable anything like Telnet or SSH through the CLI. The corresponding settings to do such things are disabled in the firmware and it's unlikely that they will ever be available in future firmware updates for the SG200 series switches.

Anyway opening the case of the SG200-08 to reach the serial header is rather difficult. Doing so will void your warranty and as you can access the bootloader through that header as well, chances are that you can brick the device if you don't know what you are doing.

Therefore the best choice is to stick to a switch series which officially supports CLI access.

Release 1.3.7.18 (FEB-2014)

support telnet service?