Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-28P - Simple VLAN setup

andrewhills2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to create 3 x VLANs on an SG 300-28P and have them  completely isolated from each other, for example ports 1 - 12 on VLAN 1, ports 13 - 24 on VLAN 2 and ports 25 - 28 on VLAN 3. No communication between any of the VLANs.

Can anyone advise me on the simplest way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew, consider this scenario. You have 1 switch, 2 computers like so. If you connect a computer to a member of a VLAN, it will only communicate to the members of the same vlan. The switch will not permit the vlans to communicate without a router (layer 3 device).

To create vlans try the following

1.) Make the desired vlans, the number can be anything from 1 to 4094. The vlan 1 is created by default

2.) Assign the vlan ID and a description

3.) Associate the ports you want to be a member of the VLAN 1

4.) Associate the ports you want to be a member of the additional vlans

When assigning a port to a vlan, ensure it is an untagged member. By default, only 1 untagged vlan can be per port.

Don't forget to save the configuration on the blinking icon at the top right, ensure saving the running config to the startup config.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew, in a layer 2 switch environment, this how the VLANs behave. The layer 2 VLAN won't communicate to other VLAN's. Your routing device will control that function. If you're unable to prevent your router from allowing the VLAN to communicate, you may make an ACL and apply it to interface connecting to the router.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, thanks for your response. Because I've not configured one of these switches before I'm unsure of the settings required to achieve the desired functionality. Do you have or know of a document or user guide that details the steps required to configure the switch to achieve this functionality?

Andrew

Andrew, consider this scenario. You have 1 switch, 2 computers like so. If you connect a computer to a member of a VLAN, it will only communicate to the members of the same vlan. The switch will not permit the vlans to communicate without a router (layer 3 device).

To create vlans try the following

1.) Make the desired vlans, the number can be anything from 1 to 4094. The vlan 1 is created by default

2.) Assign the vlan ID and a description

3.) Associate the ports you want to be a member of the VLAN 1

4.) Associate the ports you want to be a member of the additional vlans

When assigning a port to a vlan, ensure it is an untagged member. By default, only 1 untagged vlan can be per port.

Don't forget to save the configuration on the blinking icon at the top right, ensure saving the running config to the startup config.

-Tom

Hi Tom, Exactly what I needed. All configured and working perfectly.

Many thanks

Andrew