Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300 Problem On Linux Machine

helpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

hey hi Good Evening,

I have Sg 300 with 48 ports , and I am facing problem with Linux machines..

Do you have any idea about Smart Port Managment??? In my scenario i have 2 vlans 10 & 20. Also i have External DHCP server on vlan 10 . Now my problem is if i am connecting linux machine to vlan 20 or if connecting AP to vlan 20 I a not able to get IP on linux machine only. windows machine are working fine. same if linux machine to vlan 10 getting IP properly... Whats reason or solution for same???

5 Replies 5

Ingrid Aragon
Level 1
Level 1

Akshay, I am a Cisco Engineer from the Small Business department.

I am afraid that this could be an issue of the VLAN configuration. Let me ask you, did you join the correct VLAN on the port that you are connecting the Linux PC? I mean the port needs to be with the VLAN 20 as Untagged.

Now if you are manually setting up the port VLAN membership, Auto Smartport needs to be disabled to avoid any conflicts.

Do not hesitate to let me know if you need any further information/assistance.

Why should I rate content?
You will be ensuring that people who generously share their expertise are properly acknowledged. As posts are rated, the value of those ratings are accumulated as "points" and summarized on the Member Profile page.

Hey Hi,

Thanks for the reply. writing after long time . Still my issue is not resolved. as you said i checked vlan 20 is untagged. Let me tell you what i did " i took my MAC/Linux machine and tried to connect directly to switch port with vlan 10 and i was able to get proper IP address. Then i tried to connect same machines directly to switch port with vlan 20 but i was not able to get IP address" . Why so?? 

If i am directly connecting laptop to any switch port i am supposed to get IP address.

And also i want to ask one question, on SG 300 I tried to disable AutoSmartport But then nothing works  means i supposed to enable smartport. Also in smartport type settings do i need to change the values for hosts/computer etc. Because my maximum clients are on vlan20 (wifi) only.

Please suggest me some solution.

I am not sure of your switch configuration, L3 mode?  There is a setting for DHCP relay that may help since you are using an external DHCP server.

If your APs are working with multiple VLANs then you need to use a trunked port for the AP.

Sorry just noticed windows is working fine.

I had a similar issue and DHCP relay and trunking my AP port resolved these issues. Different SSIDs were on different VLANs. 

hello

based on this ((  i took my MAC/Linux machine and tried to connect directly to switch port with vlan 10 and i was able to get proper IP address. Then i tried to connect same machines directly to switch port with vlan 20 but i was not able to get IP address" . Why so?? ))

you mentioned that you have DHCP on vlan 10 only , so how are you gonna get ip address on machines connected to ports with vlan 20 !! kindly clarify

also can you put static ip address on those machines MAC/linux from the same range of vlan 20 and ping any device