cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 - Poor gigabit performance 12to14MB/s

devin.culp
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased an SG200-26 and noticed when transfering a VM image at a large file size between two servers with 10K rpm drives at raid-5 plugged into this SG200-26 that we could only get 12 to 14MB/s. I went ahead and took two laptops to this switch to do another test and got the same throughput at 12 to 14MB/s.

If I bypass the switch and do a direct cable between the two laptops I can get 32MB/s which is what I would expect between two laptops do to hardrive limitations.

We have an SG200-50 that is in production with same server specs that can transfer at 89MB/s easily doing the same test with moving a VM image from one server to another host server.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Devin,

Do you have the SG200-50 doing jumbo frames?

Have you made any changes to the factory settings on the SG200-26 switches? Are you going through both switches or just one at a time? If you look in the switch what is the link and negotiation settings of those ports? Which ports are you plugged into? Is there anything else plugged into the switch when you are testing?

Under security there is some storm controls that can limit broadcasts and unicast messages to a particular speed, but I would think that would be the current problem. Do you have the ability to use a tool like Iperf or Jperf to test throughput?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Devin,

Do you have the SG200-50 doing jumbo frames?

Have you made any changes to the factory settings on the SG200-26 switches? Are you going through both switches or just one at a time? If you look in the switch what is the link and negotiation settings of those ports? Which ports are you plugged into? Is there anything else plugged into the switch when you are testing?

Under security there is some storm controls that can limit broadcasts and unicast messages to a particular speed, but I would think that would be the current problem. Do you have the ability to use a tool like Iperf or Jperf to test throughput?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security