cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26P + SF200-24P, LAG? Trunking?

mhplwl
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not a network person by any means and have no problem admitting that. That's why I'm here.

I have a SG200-26P that is already configured and working properly. It is connected to an ASA5505 that is acting as the DHCP server. We currently have 3 VLANs: 10, 20 & 40.

We are adding in a SF200-24P and I wanted to LAG & Trunk (I think that's the correct terms) to the 26P and the VLANs would go across both switches. I set up the LAG through the GUI on both devices with GE25/GE26 on the SG200-26P and GE1/GE2 on the SF200-24P as the LAG ports. When I connect them together I can not get an IP address, nor can I ping the 26P from a device connected to the 24P (after setting a static IP to just be able to access the GUI on the 24P).

SG200-26P = 192.168.1.3

SF200-24P = 192.168.1.4

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm sure this is actually a simple setup but I can't figure it out.

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi MHPL, you're correct a LAG and trunk is accurate. When you think about a LAG think of it exactly the same as a single link. You must config it like any singular port and you will observe when configuring the VLAN properties that there is an option for the LAG.

Moving past that, there are 2 types of LAG, static and dynamic. I recommend that you use static LAG where each side does not use any protocol to negotiate the LAG. So when you go to the port management -> LAG setting simple add the port and click apply (do not click LACP) and make the same configuration on the other switch and connect them. Just ensure that the switches are essentially identical.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/