Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 or SG100 series switches?

caseranch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm assisting a company in switch selection for data and VoIP for a small business of around 40 users who is moving into new spaces and adding VoIP.

The data and voice subnets will be routed to each other.  No VLANs or QoS are needed according to the VoIP provider. 

They need 22 PoE gigabit ports for phones and 40+ non-PoE ports.

The part-time IT person on-site does not have experience in managing switches.  So, they are thinking about using six unmanaged SG100D-08P switches to get the PoE ports plus whatever SG100 switch for the non-PoE ports.  However, it appears that two SG200 series switches (the SG200-50P and SG-200-50 or SG200-26), would be easy to configure for this purpose and require little management.  They have mostly rackmount equipment.  It seems like SG200 switches would solve what could be a mess of swithes and wires with six SG100D-08P's. 

I gather that little, if any configuration is required for a non-PoE SG200-xx switch. Is this correct?

Can someone please comment about how easy the SG200-xxP switches are to use and any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Caseranch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Caseranch, please consider that the SG200 switches do not supply POE on every port only 1/2 of the ports. A 48 port switch has POE on 24 ports. I know this should meet your requirement but for future POE expansion, another POE switch would be needed.

You are correct, in the sense, the SG200 needs very little to zero configuration. The only thing I would recommend is if you buy a manage switch, upgrade to the newest firmware, factory reset the unit then install and connect things to it. That should be sufficient based off how you describe things.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Caseranch, please consider that the SG200 switches do not supply POE on every port only 1/2 of the ports. A 48 port switch has POE on 24 ports. I know this should meet your requirement but for future POE expansion, another POE switch would be needed.

You are correct, in the sense, the SG200 needs very little to zero configuration. The only thing I would recommend is if you buy a manage switch, upgrade to the newest firmware, factory reset the unit then install and connect things to it. That should be sufficient based off how you describe things.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you