cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG220-28 and Managed Wireless Access

PETER KNOWLES
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a SG220-28 to support a 2504 Wireless Access Controller and what will end up being 4 Aironet 1702i WAPs.

At another location, I have observed a SG300 switch with access points (different than those above) attached to a trunk port tagged to all 3 VLANs defined on the switch.

When I attempt to assign a port for the 2504 controller on the SG220 tagged to the 2 VLANs defined, I get a warning 'Interface should  be untagged in 1 VLAN'.

Is there a difference between the SG220 and SG300 that would make this?

I guess maybe a better question might be, am I following the right approach? My intent is to be able to run the controller from the 'business' VLAN and have the WAPs support 2 WLANs, one correlating to the 'business' VLAN, the other to the 'public/guest' WLAN.

Thank you in advance for any input.

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Peter

The traffic by default is tunneled back the controller so your Access Points can be just Access Ports in whichever Vlan you want them to pickup an IP address from.

In terms of the controller, this will need to be configured from the switch as a trunk port.

It needs to have a Management IP address which is going to be the untagged (i.e. Native) vlan on the trunk and you can tag the additional Vlans you want to create SSID's for.

The warning you are getting suggests it wants the untagged/native vlan to be 1, are you trying to change this to something else?

Have you made sure it it set as a Trunk port as opposed to Access or General?

Thanks

I have it set as Trunk, but assumed I had to set tagged to both VLANs (per my observation on a SG300).

VLAN is our 'business' LAN. I'll set it there.

The WAPs need access to both VLANs, for both business and public access.

Will give this a try later today. Thanks for your response.