cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 configured correctly?

CC Estelle
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if someone can guide me.

I have a SG300-10 with a bunch of VLANS created. Some ports are access ports but most are configured as trunk ports. From port 10 (trunk port), I have my ethernet cable connecting to my current router (Linksys WRT54).

On my SG300, I have an IP address assigned to each vlan, with VLAN 1 being my local subnet on the router. To clarify, my Linksys is 192.168.0.1, and I have VLAN 1 on my Cisco SG300 configured as 192.168.0.2

I have a static route configured on the SG300 that points all unknown traffic to 192.168.0.1. On my Linksys, I have a static route created for each vlan/subnet that points to the SG300 192.168.0.2

Everything works fine. However, I recently tried to replace this Linksys with two other routers, configured the same exact way, and on both of them, I was unable to access the internet from any client that is not on the 192.168.0.x network

It got me thinking, maybe port 10 should not be a trunk port, maybe it shouldn't even be a switchport?

Just wondering how you all would properly configure this scenario

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi CC, the port mode won't particularly matter on the switch since it is layer 3 routed. Vlan reside in layer 2, IP resides in layer 3. So long as the switch is able to locally route the subnets (vlan 1 to vlan 3 and vice versa for example) then the switch doesn't have  problem. What could have changed however is things like gateways. Are the computers still using the vlan it is a member of IP address as a default gateway?

Do the new routers have any understand of vlans, trunks, spanning tree, or any form of routed interfaces?

If it is set up exactly the same there's no reason to work. Something must be different with the software of those routers or IP addresses are no longer aligning the way you'd expect.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

What's very weird is, with all the routers, I've been able to access local resources, I can ping anywhere, access files, etc. However, those clients just couldn't connect to the internet.

I don't believe the routers have any idea of VLANS, trunks, etc, but in the firmware of my old Linksys WRT54G, it didn't seem they did either, which is why I'm surprised it worked at all, but it does. That's why I was thinking, if I turn port 10 into a non switchport, then it should strip off the VLANS before passing it to a router, correct?

In the meantime, I ordered a Cisco RV180W, as I'm sure this has the capabilities I need. It's just double the price of the router I had purchased