Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28 - Upgrading Firmware and Boot Version

phillipdade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've a Cisco SG300 switch that is currently running firmware version 1.3.0.62 and boot version 1.1.0.6. It hasn't been upgraded since original installation a few years back.

I would like to upgrade this switch to the latest firmware release (1.4.2.04) but am aware that I need to complete an intermediary upgrade to version 1.3.5/1.3.7 - I've chosen version 1.3.7. I've read through the Cisco Support Community posts and third party resources and am slightly confused.

Looking at the Cisco Support Forums article linked below, it advises that I can upgrade the firmware version before upgrading the boot version, this is also mentioned in some third party resources.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/5007_-_firmware_upgrade_troubleshooting_on_300_and_500_series_managed_switches_0.pdf

Whereas the release notes for intermediary upgrade version 1.3.5/1.3.7 all mention the following:

'Before upgrading to version 1.3.5 and later, the boot loader also needs to be updated. If version 1.3.5 or later is installed using the original boot loader, the file system will not be upgraded and in future the user will not be allowed to upgrade to versions higher than 1.3.5'

My take on the release notes quotation above says that I need to update the boot loader to version 1.3.5.06 beforeupgrading the firmware to version 1.3.7.18. Is my understanding correct on this or can I follow the instructions (firmware then boot loader) in the Knowledge Base Article 5007 referenced above?

The release notes for version 1.4.2.04 mention the following:

When upgrading the device from version prior to 1.3.5, you first need to upgrade the device image to image version 1.3.5 or 1.3.7 and the latest boot file (1.4.2.04)

I cannot seem to find a boot file version of 1.4.2.04, should this be boot version 1.3.5.06?

When looking to download the firmware updates on the Cisco website, I get an option to choose to download a 'Managed Switch MiB' file or 'Switch Firmware'? What is the Managed Switch MiB file? Do I need to upgrade this, if so, does this need to be upgraded at the same time as the boot/firmware upgrade?

I assume that once this upgrade process has been completed to the latest release, the System Summary Software Information should show version 1.4.2.04 for Firmware Version and 1.3.5.06 for Boot Version. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies 3

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you need to update the boot file first.  Actually, you can do both in one session in my experience.  A tftp server is needed to get the boot file loaded and then you can add firmware via web GUI and set the active image to new firmware and reboot.  It will take a while and then you should be good.  I did just download 1.4.2.04 and notice it does not include the boot file so you need to get it from 1.4.1.03 download link. The current boot file is 13506. Nevermind the MIB files and backup your config just in case.

Hope that helps.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks Brandon, I'll give it a go out of hours.

Regards

Hello, my name is Jonathan and i am one of the engineers here at the Cisco sbsc team.

I apologize for the delay in this answer. I would like to check if you could upgrade the switch to the latest versions of boot code and firmware.

if you need further assistance feel free to call us at 1-866-606-1866

thanks and have a great day.