Replies

SG300-28P poe fail

focal2013
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning
I am in possession of a switch SG300-28P
I am having difficulty with food poe an access point Netgear WG102
Can you tell me if the two devices are compatible?
thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Luca, looking at the Netgear website that access point is eos/eol

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/access-points-wireless-controllers/access-points/wg102.aspx#two

It says the product is no longer available and to look in to the WG103.

A product over view does say it is 802.3af compliant

Integrated IEEE 802.3af power over Ethernet (PoE)

Have you used this access point before? Was it in a production environment at some point working with POE? When did you start using the SX300 switch? Is the SX300 on the newest software? Do you see any indication of link state from the switch (orange or green light)? Does the AP work with a power adapter? Do you have any different POE switch to try with? Do you have any different POE devices connecting to the switch that work?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Hi Luca,

I have a poe problem with 3 SG300-28P, there is a strange physical problem on the loads management. The specifications say that you have a maximum load on the entire switch, but I found that with a couple of cisco AP connected on some ports, some other ports in the same 4x2 block doesn't light up, if I disconnect the APs, connect whatever you want on the other ports and reconnect the APs everything will be powered.

So, try to disconnect other poe devices in the same 4x2 block and connect your netgear AP and see if it power up.

Paolo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Luca, looking at the Netgear website that access point is eos/eol

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/access-points-wireless-controllers/access-points/wg102.aspx#two

It says the product is no longer available and to look in to the WG103.

A product over view does say it is 802.3af compliant

Integrated IEEE 802.3af power over Ethernet (PoE)

Have you used this access point before? Was it in a production environment at some point working with POE? When did you start using the SX300 switch? Is the SX300 on the newest software? Do you see any indication of link state from the switch (orange or green light)? Does the AP work with a power adapter? Do you have any different POE switch to try with? Do you have any different POE devices connecting to the switch that work?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

focal2013
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply
First point the Switch is updated to the latest version of software
The access point is no longer in production, but it supports Poe as written in the manual:
RJ-45 Ethernet LAN / Port POE
Use the WG102 Ethernet RJ-45 port to connect to an Ethernet LAN through a device longer available as a
hubs, switches, routers, or Power Over Ethernet (POE) switch
Power over Ethernet. Power can be supplied to the WG102 over the Ethernet port from any
802.3af compliant mid-span or end-span source: such as the NETGEAR Managed FSM7326P
Power over Ethernet Layer 3 managed switches
The only thing that I have noticed is that the power led the access point when connected to the switch is blinking, as if not enough power
I also changed the cable and port but the result is the same
Regarding the standardized I would say that is correct: 802.3af level 3
Thanks in advance to those who will help me ...

Hi Luca,

I have a poe problem with 3 SG300-28P, there is a strange physical problem on the loads management. The specifications say that you have a maximum load on the entire switch, but I found that with a couple of cisco AP connected on some ports, some other ports in the same 4x2 block doesn't light up, if I disconnect the APs, connect whatever you want on the other ports and reconnect the APs everything will be powered.

So, try to disconnect other poe devices in the same 4x2 block and connect your netgear AP and see if it power up.

Paolo

Hello everyone
I did the appropriate tests but the apparatus still does not work, it could be a problem of access point, today I will try to try another device
I would like to point out that to date on the switch there are only two connected PC and a print server