Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 28PP VLANs and DHCP

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

We have a Cisco RV325 Router and behind that a SG300-28PP Switch.
Before we used to let the RV325 do all routing, dhcp, dns and also enable VLAN there.

Now I was thinking, would it be better to move the VLAN stuff directly to the SG300 switch and let it handle all that?
Would it also be better to let the SG300 handle DHCP aswell? What is your opinion on this?

Basically, I was looking for an easy way to simply setup 3 VLAN's:
1 as default (Normal, 192.168.1.x) 25 as guest vlan (guests only internet no lan, 192.168.2.x) and 100 as voice vlan (192.168.3.x).

Does any know how to best setup the SG300 to make this happen? I already put it in Layer 3 mode, then under VLAN settings I made 3 of them (1,25,100). Interface seems to b e set to Trunk right now (I guess thats what i need? as i have 1 as default but tag some ports to also do 25 and 100).

What else should be set under IPv4 Routers? How can I make VLAN 100 be pingeable from VLAN 1? :) Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

My opinion is that doesn't make any difference where you put DHCP.  It is just a preference.  Some people like to use Windows or Linux DHCP servers because they have some more features than the router or switch does.

As for putting the switch in layer 3 mode you know have two layer 3 devices- the switch and the router so to me it just complicates things.  If you want to leave it this way then you could connect your RV to an access port on the native VLAN and put a default route in the switch to route internet via the RV.  The switch will allow all VLANs to route to each other by default as long as you assign the each an IP address and the clients on the VLAN use the VLAN IP as their default gateway.

If you want to block inter-VLAN routing (for your guest VLAN) you would need ACLs in the switch.

If everything is working for you now you might just leave it alone ;)

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

My opinion is that doesn't make any difference where you put DHCP.  It is just a preference.  Some people like to use Windows or Linux DHCP servers because they have some more features than the router or switch does.

As for putting the switch in layer 3 mode you know have two layer 3 devices- the switch and the router so to me it just complicates things.  If you want to leave it this way then you could connect your RV to an access port on the native VLAN and put a default route in the switch to route internet via the RV.  The switch will allow all VLANs to route to each other by default as long as you assign the each an IP address and the clients on the VLAN use the VLAN IP as their default gateway.

If you want to block inter-VLAN routing (for your guest VLAN) you would need ACLs in the switch.

If everything is working for you now you might just leave it alone ;)

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

You are right :) Thank you. I changed the SG300 back to Layer 2 mode now and I can still simply add VLAN's now in there, that match those of the RV320. I also enabled multicast filtering to 'cache' airplay devices better.