cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 Multicast To Other VLans

waterboy555
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG300 router at one of our locations. This location has multiple VLans setup. Everything at this location works great. One of the VLans is the 192.168.2.x network. This network has a phone system, 3Com NBX V3000. This system is used in house, with other devices on the same VLan and everything works great. This system is also used by remote locations, through Vpn Tunnels. The remote devices are on different subnets (192.168.3.x & 192.168.4.x). The other networks can ping and access the phone system, but their system dates and device status lights do not work (park, other extensions status). I've looked into this and the phone system uses a multicast channel of 224.0.1.59 to send this data to all the devices. The 192.168.2.x network has a firewall / router that is responsible for all the Vpn Tunnel connections. No changes have been made in the firewall since upgrading to the SG300 router.

This all worked great before I changed out our dated router and installed the new SG300 with VLans. What do I need to do to this working again? I haven't messed with any of the multicast settings as I am not familiar with multicast settings.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hello waterboy

according my understanding your phone system is communicating with remote devices using multicast (mutlicast address 224.0.1.59). but in order to make it work, you have to use multicast routing, which is not possible on small business switches (including sg300). Mutlicast routing capability is considered enterprise feature and it is a part of enterprise class routing switches (starting with catalyst 3560 models) only.

Multicast features available on SG300 are related to mutlicast filtering, igmp snooping and igmp multicast group management (i.e. client/receiving part of multicasts). But multicast routing is a different part and for this to work you have to enable/use multicast routing daemon (most likely PIM protocol) and moreover this has to be done on every part of locations which should receive that multicast communication from your phone system.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hello waterboy

according my understanding your phone system is communicating with remote devices using multicast (mutlicast address 224.0.1.59). but in order to make it work, you have to use multicast routing, which is not possible on small business switches (including sg300). Mutlicast routing capability is considered enterprise feature and it is a part of enterprise class routing switches (starting with catalyst 3560 models) only.

Multicast features available on SG300 are related to mutlicast filtering, igmp snooping and igmp multicast group management (i.e. client/receiving part of multicasts). But multicast routing is a different part and for this to work you have to enable/use multicast routing daemon (most likely PIM protocol) and moreover this has to be done on every part of locations which should receive that multicast communication from your phone system.