Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 not reachable beyond subnet

Dirk Dittert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a SG300 to be reachable beyond its own subnet. Its IP address is configured by DHCP to 192.168.2.2/255.255.255.0. It is possible to ping the switch from the same subnet but not from outside. The switch is set to layer 2 mode. All routing should be done by the gateway.

Here's what I have checked so far:

• The default gateway and netmask are set correctly
  • The gateway can ping the switch
  • Hosts in the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet have connectivity to other networks through the gateway (i.e. gateway configured correctly)
  • Administrative interface > IPv4 interface shows the correct ip address, netmask, and gateway (greyed out because it is assigned by DHCP)
  • the switch can ping other hosts within the same network

Is there some kind of firewall setting that prohibits the switch to respond to ip packets from outside the subnet?

5 Replies 5

Dirk Dittert
Level 1
Level 1

I just set the ip address manually, and now it works. Is there any reason why setting the gateway by DHCP should not work?

Hi Dirk, for a layer 2 switch the default gateway must be specified to access the management IP from any subnet outside of the subnet of the switch management.

There is no particular reason why a DHCP assigned gateway wouldn't work. I am assuming you had the switch to management set to receive DHCP. If not, the gateway would not be set to be dynamic.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Could this be caused by setting Administration > File Management > DHCP Auto Configuration to disabled (I don't want the switch to automatically get any TFTP servers for configuration files)?

No, I do not believe so.

If you want to test the theory-

Factory reset the switch and let the DHCP server give it whatever info it wants. Then from a different routed subnet try to access the switch.

Just make sure you don't have a wireless connection overlap a wired connection.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

That's not possible - the switch is currently in use. As a workaround, I'll set the ip address/gateway manually. Thanks for the help.