Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 / WAP561 Guest Wifi Help

ReidJones
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Meraki router with a SG300 switch and 2 x WAP561 Access points on ports 47/48.  We currently have VLAN 1 (192.168.10.0/24) setup as our main network.  I have setup another VLAN for our guest network on our Meraki router, VLAN 50 (192.168.50.0/24).  Please advise how I should be tagging/untagging the packets to make the guest wifi work.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the Cisco Small Business Engineers.

Can you please confirm if you have 1 or 2 SSIDs (Main or Main+Guest) on the WAP561?

Assuming that you want your guest users to have access to Internet:

-Make sure that the link between the Meraki and SG300 is a trunk and has VLAN 1 as untagged and VLAN 50 as tagged.

-If you are only using your WAPs with only Guest SSID and no Main network access then configure SG300 ports as Access for VLAN 50; 

-If you are using your WAPs so users can access both networks on 2 separate SSIDs (Main and Guest) then please configure the links between WAP561 and SG300 as Trunk - VLAN1 untagged and VLAN 50 tagged.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or issues please do not hesitate to contact us so we can open a support ticket for you and assist further.

Regards,
Kris

Hi Kris,

I have 2 SSIDs, one main, and one guest wifi.  Guest wifi members should have access to the internet only.

On my Meraki router, I have the the ethernet port connected to the SG300 setup as a trunk, the native VLAN setup as VLAN 1 (main network), and access allowed to all VLANs.

VLAN 1 seems to be untagged by default on the SG300.  Once I tag VLAN 50 then I love the ability to connect to the main wifi.  Going back to check over the settings, every time I tag VLAN 50 it tags VLAN 1 as well, even though I set VLAN 1 as untagged.

Thanks,

Reid

Hello Reid,

It sounds very strange that your switch is tagging VLAN1 when you tag VLAN50.

What firmware version and boot code are you running on the SG300? 

What about the firmware version on WAP561s?

You can try to upgrade the switch and WAPs to latest versions. Firmware upgrade is pretty straight forward via GUI however you will need TFTP server to upgrade the boot code on the SG300. Please let me know if you need assistance with the process. 

If that doesn't solve your issue, please feel free to contact us so we can open a support ticket for further assistance.

Regards,
Kris