cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500-28P all ports down after factory reset

NickDaGeek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have an SG500-28P that is behaving oddly. Factory Reset via button on the front took ages to respond, I have been told 10 seconds or above and it should flash all lights and reboot. It does not. Finally got it to reboot and now it goes through the boot up but once lights settle all ports are down i.e. do not respond to cable being plugged in. no lights at all. I am going to dig out a console cable if can find one, the ones we have are the router ones with the DB9 on the other end. Will a USB to Serial cable work? If not I can dig out an old laptop with a serial connection but do I need a null modem or a straight through cable?

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You should indeed try to obtain logs from the device , if no networking possible through console (indeed)
      As far as USB to serial and console cables is concerned that is usually test and try.
      It's probably best to test first without any network connections , because after a factory reset it behaves for
      instance default on spanning tree , resulting in possible long waits for any active connection(s) related to that or not , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

am getting a serial cable to connec to the switch via terminal and CLI will let you know what I find later. 

Hi M.

Console cable for the SG series is female to female DB9 straight through. 115200 baud 8 N 1 for PuTTY with the Control-H option for backspace. 

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello  NickDaGeek,

Please perform the following steps:

Gopinath_Pigili_1-1726232108671.png

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/quick_start/en/500_Series_QSG_En.pdf

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Hi Spotlight,
Will try again but the problem I am having is that it does not reset no matter how long I hold the button down for.

Thanks Gopinath_Pigili.

Very useful links, I have ordered a cable to connect to the serial port as the only one we had were the Serial to RJ45 console cables for the routers. Sadly am currently working from home due to an injured knee so won't be able to do much this week. Will let you know how I get on, Thanks again.

Hi Gopinath_Pigili,

thanks I finally figured out what is happening once I got the console cable connected. As I was saying above Console cable for the SG series is female to female DB9 straight through. 115200 baud 8 N 1 for PuTTY with the Control-H option for backspace. 

The switch takes ages to auto generate the required SSH etcetera keys and certificates after the reboot.I managed to follow the guides you sent and found Cisco 500 Series Stackable Managed Switches Command Line Interface Reference Guide Firmware Release 1.4.0.x which refreshed my very old brain's memory of things I did 20 years ago. Have a working HTTP interface again. Will try to reconfigure now and see if I can avoid locking myself out again so I do not have to reset.