cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500-52 Password Reset

Lemon Lime
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco SG500-52 (not PoE) switch stacked (2 switches total).

The password has been forgotten for the switch.  I have repeatedly attempted to access this switch via the console but I am not getting anything appear in the console window.

I powered of the secondary switch, connected my serial cable to the master switch with the correct settings (115200 baud etc) and then powered cycled the master switch.  I am getting nothing but a black screen.

I tested the cable connecting to another device and it worked instantly.  I cannot get into the switch at all.

Interestingly I have another SG500-52 switch in another location, I tried to console into that also and had the same results.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

cristgon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Simon Clewlow,

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums. My name is Cristian, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. Unfortunately I believe the only way to get into the switch if the password has been loss is a hard reset. This can be done by pressing the reset button for 15-20 second.

I have found a few documents on the Cisco Knowledge Base that may help you with your concerns. 

How to save your configuration. 

Password strength. 

I hope you will find this answer useful, and I hope you reply back with any questions or concerns.

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Regards,

Cristian Gonzalez

Cisco eContent Developer 

Thank you for your input.

Thankfully I have since discovered that the admin who changed the password must not have done a wr mem as when I rebooted the switch I was then able to login with previous credentials.  Phew!!