cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500X-48MP stacked voip vlan issue

Cypher720
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. I have one for you. Everything is working at the moment but not working how I thought it would.

I have a SG300-52MP that I configured first. Smartport, dynamic voice vlan disabled, LLDP, CDP enabled as default. vlans are 1,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,100,200. 1 the default vlan has been disabled. voice vlan id has been set to 30. Most ports are configured as trunk with vlan 10 as Untagged 30 as tagged. This works. When I plug in a polycom vvx310 it powers on and gets an ip-address in the 192.168.6 subnet vlan 30 and has a dial tone.

Same configuration on the SG500X with the additions of stacking and routing. The phone does not get the vlan 30 configuration push and does not get an ip address in the 192.168.6 subnet. If I enable the Dynamic voice vlan to Enable Auto Voice Vlan, it works. It shows vlan 30 and has a .6 ip-address.

With how similar these devices are why is this different?

Thanks

Fritz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cypher720
Level 1
Level 1

Update

Migrated the entire network to sg300s and a couple sg500s. Having the dynamic voice vlan set to disabled only 10 phones picked up the correct vlan settings. I was surprised by this, I figured it would all work or not. Ended up enabling dynamic voice vlan and all phones restarted after clicking apply. All 60 phones are configured correctly and working on the correct vlan and subnet. Now you know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 
My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

I think it would be best if you could call our support line and open a support case.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco STAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO

Hi Iliya

I created a ticket #684613387. After getting off the phone with support. What I was told is if you have smartport disabled and dynamic voice vlan disabled there is no way for the phone to pick up the configuration. Obviously this is incorrect. I have smartport disabled and dynamic voice vlan set to enable auto voice vlan and it does work. According to the engineer cdp and lldp has nothing to do with auto vlan configuration. So yea, where it shouldn't work at all it seems to work just fine. Also, these are two different switches and shouldn't be compared against each other, according to the engineer.

raluani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fritz,

My name is Rozana and i am an engineer from the SMB team.

On both SG300 and SG500 the macros for the voice VLAN will work only when auto voice VLAN is enabled.
However if you configure the phone to work on VLAN 30, then the phone will connect to the tagged VLAN(30) on the switch, even if auto voice VLAN is disabled, and the connected client (PC) will work on the untagged VLAN.

By design, the functionality of the auto-voice vlan and smartport on both switches(SG300 and SG500) is the same.
Please check if both switches run the same firmware and whether you have a different configuration on the phones you test.

Regards.

Hello.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Looking at the firmware of the switches they are running firmware version 1.4.8.6. For testing purposes I used the same phone with no change to the configuration.

Cypher720
Level 1
Level 1

Update

Migrated the entire network to sg300s and a couple sg500s. Having the dynamic voice vlan set to disabled only 10 phones picked up the correct vlan settings. I was surprised by this, I figured it would all work or not. Ended up enabling dynamic voice vlan and all phones restarted after clicking apply. All 60 phones are configured correctly and working on the correct vlan and subnet. Now you know.