cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM 2024 VLAN Config

Lawrence McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to managed networking.  So I'm having trouble understanding how to set up my switches properly.  I have a closed network with about 20 switches and 2 IDF's.  No router, and no internet.  I have a SLM 2024 in want to have 4 ports set up with a VLAN.  I have another SLM2024 I want to be on the same VLAN some where else. Switch 1 uses port 24 GBIC as and uplink port to one of the IDF's.  Switch 2 uses ports 12 and 24 copper(LACP) to make a hop from another switch(ports 1 and 13 LACP)which inturn is connected to thesame IDF on port 24 GBIC.  How do I set up switch 1 ports 7,8,19,20?  Also, how do I set up switch 2 ports 7,8,19,20?  VLAN 11

Thanks for any help

1 Reply 1

Hello Mr. McCoy,

Let me share with you some information about the configuration of vlans and port assignation for this kind of interface and switch.

In order to create a vlan you need to access the Create VLAN screen. The Vlan management interface lets you create and configure global parameters for VLANs.

To create a single VLAN, enter the VLAN ID and VLAN Name, up to 32 characters long, and click Add.

After create the vlan you could go to the The Port Settings where you to configure the ports in a VLAN.

You can configure VLAN behavior for specific ports, including the accepted frame type, VLAN identifier (PVID), and ingress filtering.

Port

The number of the port.

Acceptable Frame Type

This specifies the type of frames that the port will accept. If All (default) is selected, the port will accept all frame types, including tagged or untagged frames. If Tagged is selected, the port accepts

only tagged frames. When set to All, any untagged frames that are received are assigned to the default VLAN.

PVID

Use this field to select the VLAN ID that will be assigned to untagged frames received on the port.

Valid IDs are (default) to 409. VLAN 4094 is reserved for internal use. VLAN 4095 is defined per standard and

industry practice as the Discard VLAN. Frames tagged for the Discard VLAN are dropped.

Ingress Filtering

Enables or disables Ingress filtering on the port. Ingress filtering discards packets that do not

include an ingress port. The default is Enabled.

LAG

Displays the LAG, if any, to which the port belongs. A port’s LAG settings override the VLAN port settings.

Click Save Changes to save your changes, or click Cancel Changes to cancel.

Next Go to the the Port to VLAN screen. In this screen you could to add ports to a VLAN and

delete ports from a VLAN. When you add a port to a VLAN, you also specify whether the port is tagged or untagged.

The Port to VLAN screen contains a Port Table with VLAN parameters for each port. To add a port to or delete a

port from the VLAN, you select the port’s appropriate configuration options from this table

Select VLAN

Select the ID of the VLAN whose port membership you are configuring. For each port in the

VLAN, select the appropriate configuration option:

Tagged

The interface is a member of the VLAN. All packets transmitted by the port will be tagged and will

carry VLAN information.

Untagged

The interface is a member of the VLAN. All packets transmitted by the port will be untagged and

will not carry VLAN information.

Excluded

The interface is excluded from the VLAN.

You could check this information on the VLAN to Port screen which displays each port’s VLAN

membership information. It is also used to add a port to or delete a port from a VLAN.

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Thank you