Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following setup:

Service Provider connected to SLM2008 port 2

SLM2008 connected to SG300-20 using LAG2

SG300-20 connected to SG200-08 using LAG1

SG200-08 port 1 connected to PC

I have configured VLAN 4 to isolate this (port-to-port)​ traffic from the rest of the network, however I can't obtain an IP address from the SP.network setup

SLM2008 : port 2 PVID 4 all frame types accepted, VLAN ID 4 assigned to port 2 and LAG 2 (consisting of port 5&6)

on the SG300-20, the Port VLAN Membership Table shows LAG1 & 2 with 1UP, 4T (so supposed to transport VLANs 1 & 4, 1 being the default)

SG200-08 shows Port VLAN Membership Table port 1 in access mode with PVID 4 and operational VLAN membership 4U. I can't put it to 4T except in generic mode, but this doesn't work either.

What am I missing here ?

Any input/feedback would be highly appreciated.

Christophe

6 Replies 6

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

When using more than one VLan, the port / LAG must be trunk with 1U and 4 T.

The port going to a PC should be 4U.  PCs do not understand tags

The main issue is with the SP router.  This layer 3 device must support Vlans.  Thus you would need to add Vlan 4 to the SP and trunk the port from the SP to the switch as 1U 4T

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

Thanks for pointing that out Michael.

I'll have a look at it. Between the SP and the SLM2008 sits a RV320  Gigabit Dual WAN VPN Router, which supports VLANs. The port connectected to the SLM2008 is indeed in 1U 4T. So everything is as you recommended. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the description of the VLAN 4 is not the same accross all devices. I'll correct that, but am pretty sure that's not the root cause. On the RV320, inter VLAN routing is disabled for both VLAN 1 and 4. Perhaps I should enable that for one of them, or both ?

Thank you for your feedback. Best regards,

Christophe

Hello CHristophe,

Yes, the RV320 in the topology changes every thing.  The RV320 is the router for your LAN.  Is the RV320, also setup to be the DHCP server for Vlan 4?

No, you only need inter-vlan routing enabled, if you need vlan 1 and 4 to communicate to each other.

To test you could set a port on the RV320 to 4 untagged, connect your PC to the port and test the DHCP.

Best Regards,

Mike

I'll try that tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks already.

Christophe 

Success. Weird thing is I can't ping the dhcp server (the RV320 in VLAN4)...

So far so good. Now how to configure the RV320 in a way that the PC gets an IP address from the ISP ?

Simply turning off the DHCP server on the RV320 isn't enough it seems. I don't have the DHCP address of the ISP, so I can't configure DHCP relay.

The DHCP request should be directed to WAN1, but how if not by default ?

Christophe.

The PC will not be able to get an IP from the ISP as long as the PC is behind the RV320.  The RV320 is doing NAT between the ISP public WAN and the RV320 private LAN.

What is your goal with the PC and the ISP?

Relay does not work across the NAT.  Boundary between the WAN and LAN.