cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

slm2048 not accepting more than 15 connections

hvardhan.r
Level 1
Level 1

We've got a Cisco SLM2048 switch. Once 15 ports are active, the switch stops recognizing connections on other ports. So, if 15 computers were connected to the network, and a 16th computer was to be switched on, it would be unable to access the network. I suspect the problem is faulty hardware, since the computer regains access if connected directly to our router, or if one of the 15 is disconnected.

Any help and ideas on what to check, would be appreciated.

Oh, it's a 48 port switch - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10002/index.html

Thanks,

Harsha

3 Replies 3

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

What do you mean with "it would be unable to access the network"? What happens exactly? Is the network interface of the computer active or not? Does the computer get an IP address with DHCP or not? Is there something in the ARP cache or not?

Hi Gerald, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, the network interface on the computer is active. If I connect it directly to the modem/router, it immediately recieves an IP address using DHCP.

The cisco switch is also setup to use DHCP as its address mode. I'm not too sure how to go about checking the ARP cache.

You did not answer my questions:

What do you mean with "it would be unable to access the network"?

What happens exactly?

Is the interface active when it is connected to the switch?

Do the LEDs light up?

Does the computer get an IP address?

Use a command prompt window, enter "ipconfig /all" and "arp -a" and post the output.