cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2048 traffic monitoring

adtechnet
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to find which port is creating high volumes of traffic on a SLM2048?  I tried the "statistics" but you must click on each port one at a time (48 ports x 2 switches = pain).  Since the device is not capable of SNMP, how can I monitor it????

I am frusterated but appriciate any help!

2 Replies 2

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

SysAdmin,

Unfortunately with these switches there is not many bells and whistles.  Since it don't support SNMP you would have to some how capture packets either with  port mirroring or plugging the two switches into a hub and monitoring the traffic.

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business Support Community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia STAC.

As David stated, the switch does not support SNMP, the best way to see what is happening on the switch is to connect a simple hub to the port leading to your default gateway and connect to this hub the default gateway itself and another client with Wireshark installed. As the hub will forward the traffic to all ports, you will be able to capture all the multicast, broadcast and unicast traffic sent to this port and where it originates from.

In my opinion this place of implementation has the highest probability to "catch" the traffic generator and could serve as an alternative to verifying the statistics on the ports one by one.

If you would require any assistance on setting this up, please do not hesitate to contact your local support center while referring to this thread.

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA