cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNTP not working on Cisco SG220

oceanswitch
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to make SNTP work on a Cisco SG220 switch by using a NTP server pool ("0.europe.pool.ntp.org"). When I put the IP address of a NTP server in that pool, it works fine. But when I put the proper FQDN to the pool, the system time does not get in sync.

For your reference, I have gateway and DNS addresses configured properly (ping for "0.europe.pool.ntp.org" succeeds).

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters try to configure a 'direct ip address' only from 0.europe.pool.ntp.org  , and check if that works, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Yeah by putting an IP address from the pool, it works fine. And name resolution seems to work fine, but SNTP seems to fail at using DNS.

- This could be a bug or restriction , depending on how it is viewed , but you can add the resolving addresses as multiple sntp servers too ; that then does not include future ip address changes for the service ; but it can be argued that this can be seen as enhancing security; for instance IOS when configuring a NTP server ,will immediately resolve to the first IP address found in the running config for similar reasons ,  

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

johnmolina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I've faced a similar issue before. It sounds like your switch might be having trouble resolving the FQDN to an IP address consistently. Here are a few things to try:

Ensure that your DNS settings on the switch are correct and that it can consistently resolve other FQDNs.

Sometimes switches have a preference for IP addresses over FQDNs for NTP. You might want to stick with a specific IP address if it's working fine.

Try using a different NTP server pool or a different time server altogether to see if that resolves the issue.

If the problem persists, consider updating the firmware of your switch, as this might be a known issue that has been fixed in a newer version.