Views
Helpful
Replies

SOLVED: Setting MTU borked my NFS function on SG200-08

tim.boneko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I am running a SG200-08 switch for about 15 months without any problems. Firmware is the latest 1.0.6.2.

Last weekend i played with the MTU settings of the hosts and the switch. I set it to 9216 on the switch and 9000 on the hosts.

This had a performance impact indeed, but it also stopped my NFS: Clients didn't see the server any longer, no packets arrived at the server.

Everything else worked like before, with standard MTU of 1518.

So i set it all back to 1500 on the hosts and 1518 (the minimum) on the switch. No effect, the clients couldn't reach port 2049 on the server. So i reverted to factory defaults via web interface. Didn't help. So i pushed a paper clip into the hole labeled "Reset" until the switch rebooted.

This didn't help either. When i plug a client directly into the server port, without the switch in between, NFS works fine. I also diabled spanning tree since i don't see need for that in my LAN. The switch seems to block traffic on port 111, 2049 and possibly others. This thing is close to useless now.

Are there any tricks to fix this or trace the problem any further? (Port sniffers on the server tell me clearly that not a single packet arrives.)

Yours sincerely,

tim

Message was edited by: Tim Boneko Downgrading the firmware fixed the problem

8 Replies 8

tim.boneko
Level 1
Level 1

It turns out that NFS works fine via UDP instead of TCP. And it works via TCP if i use a different switch.

I fixed it myself. Re-installing the first firmware issue (v1.0.3.3) and rebooting to factory defaults made NFS via TCP work.

I configured jumbo frames and all other aspects of the configuration that didn't work in v1.0.6.2. It all works fine with the initial firmware.

Greetings,

tim

I went through the firmware versions step by step. NFS stops working after upgrading from v1.0.5.1 to v1.0.6.2.

Jumbo Frames don't seem to influence this.

As long as nobody contradicts, i declare myself great and firmware v1.0.6.2 defective. Thanks for not caring at all.

Great switch, though.

tim

PS How do i mark this question as answered?

Hello Tim,

There is a Engineering firmware version that may have a fix for this issue. If you would like to try that, please contact Cisco SBSC and open a Service Request (You may need to provide entitlement information to open a service request).

Nagaraja

Would Cisco mind to remove the v1.6.0.2 firmware from the downloads section? The previous version at least WORKS.

Is it acceptable for Cisco to offer junk for download?

Just wondering.

​This issues seems to be resolved with version 1.0.7.4

I too have been bit by the NFS bug.  Bought a new SG200-08 today to replace a switch at home that kept falling back to 100Mbps from 1Gbps.  Plugged it in and NFS quit.   Pulled my hair out thinking that it could have been the update on my QNAP that caused the issue.

After about 6 hours, thinking I'd have to roll back the firmware on the NAS, I figured I'd swap back the switch.

After I swapped in another switch, voila NFS over TCP works again. 

Seeing that I searched and found this issue.

So I rolled the firmware back and put the switch in and all is working.  Thanks to all here.

Cisco, seriously how hard is this to fix and release?  I can't be that hard to test.  Just put the switch between a NFS server ( any linux box will do, or a QNAP or other NAS devices ) and a client and do a mount with TCP as one of the options.   Can I as a person who just bought this switch get the beta firmware?  Or is it being released soon.   If this was on one of your big chassis switches this problem would have been solved already.

Hello Randy,

Yes. Please contact Cisco support (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html) and open a service request. Our Engineers will guide you through the process to obtain the Engineering firmware for testing.

Regards,

Nagaraja