cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

some questions on VLAN / VTP settings on a SG300-10 small business managed switch

riderfaiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your help in advance. I just got a new SG300-10 Small Business Managed switch. I will have to connect the ports to two of our current VLANS in the network...and I have couple questions and hope you can help...

Q1.  Do I need to join this switch to my current VTP (currently I have two core Cisco 4509 and other CIsco IOS switches)? Does this switch has this feature? Seems like i cannot find it.

Based on the scenario that the switch does not have joining vtp feature, I would like to ask:

Q2. In order to connect the ports to my current 2 vlans...does it mean I need to create two vlan on the switch?

Q3. Once I plug into my network, would it overwrite my current VTP information?

Any advise or info would be really appreciate. Thank you very much.

Takami Chiro

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Brian Ng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Takami,

The SG300 does not support VTP which I am pretty positive as I do support this unit. You will have to manually create the two VLANs that you need and then add them to the trunk port. The SG300 will not overwrite your VTP information as the switch does not support VTP and does not have your VTP domain and/or VTP password. If you are still uncertain, you can try to test this in a lab environment with one SG300 and a Cisco IOS switch. I hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

Brian is right, you have to manually create two VLANs then add them to the trunk port. How's your configuration going? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brian Ng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Takami,

The SG300 does not support VTP which I am pretty positive as I do support this unit. You will have to manually create the two VLANs that you need and then add them to the trunk port. The SG300 will not overwrite your VTP information as the switch does not support VTP and does not have your VTP domain and/or VTP password. If you are still uncertain, you can try to test this in a lab environment with one SG300 and a Cisco IOS switch. I hope that answers your question.

Brian is right, you have to manually create two VLANs then add them to the trunk port. How's your configuration going? 

Hi Brian, and INOC,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and the answer :)

I just told my coworker that you folks provide very good service although we could not get the help from the TAC. Same as last time but that time I was setting up ip phone  with this kind of switch too.

Thank you very much again, and I really appreciate it.

Takami Chiro