Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOICE VLAN / VLAN DATA

Hello Everyone,

I have some questions about Cisco SG200 series and  VLAN for DATA/VOICE. 

I only manage the DATA, there is another guy for the VOICE equipments. 

Contexte : 

Network Equipements : 2 Cisco SG200 series

Voice Equipements:  VoIp Phone, PBX. 

DHCP for VoIP -> PBX (192.168.10.0/24)

DHCP for DATA -> Firewall (192.168.1.0/24)

The Computer need to connect behind the VoIP Phone. 

I try one configuration with two VLAN but it didn't work and i don't know why. I need some confirmation the problem is not on my side please ;). 

What i did : 

Create a New VLAN 10 (VOICE)

Use the Default VLAN1 (DATA)

i red somewhere General mode is better when communicate with third party (no cisco) instead of trunk port.

i put all the port exept PBX port in General mode (Admit All) and untagged VLAN 1 / tagged VLAN 10

Configure the port for PBX in access mode VLAN 10 (forbiden vlan1). 

Put Voice Vlan properties to VLAN10. 

With this configuration, the VOIP Phone can't communicate with the PBX (TFTP error or Network initialize).

The telephony guy put the phones in vlan 10 but nothing work. (don't know if he tagged or untagged the vlan on the phones)

I have some questions : 

I think the problem is on the phone / pbx configuration, is my configuration ok ? should i use trunk instead of general ? 

For me the problem is ,the phone didn't tagged the frames with VLAN 10 so the communication with PBX failed.

I'm not a pro with VOIP..

Why the CLI switchport mode voice vlan didn't work ? is it the SG200 ?

If i put all the port untagged VLAN 1 and voice vlan 1 to use, everything is working.

other question, what is the impact of the voice Vlan properties ID. When i change voice Vlan to 10 for example in the configuration all VLAN 1 , no more communication with PBX. Is it the CDP protocole need to communicate ?

I can use this configuration without voice vlan menu ? just with two VLANs no ? 

NB: I use the same configuration on the second switch link to the first one (general mode / untagged VLAN1 / tagged VLAN10 for all ports)

Thanks for your advices,

Regards

3 Replies 3

psandel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My name is Puneet Sandel and I am from technical support team for small business devices.

As per your query related to voice vlan and computers being connected to IP phones, make sure you check the operational voice VLAN under Voice VLAN tab in GUI.

Also for the port to VLAN membership, the port on which you have connected the IP phone, the port mode will be trunk and data VLAN will be kept untagged and voice VLAN will be kept tagged. Also you will have to change smart port macro for the voice VLAN.

After you configure port to VLAN membership, Go to Smartport>>Properties>>Select Administrative Auto Smart port (Enable by Auto voice VLAN.

Also make sure IP Phone+-Desktop is selected under Auto Smartport Device Detection.

Then go to Smartport>>Smartport Type settings>> Select smart port Macro for IP Phone+Desktop and click on Edit.

Select parameter 1 value as data VLAN ID and parameter 2 value as voice VLAN ID.

Create DHCP server for data and voice VLAN and check whether IP phone gets the IP from DHCP defined for Voice VLAN and computer gets IP from DHCP pool for data VLAN.

In case you still face the issue, feel free to contact Cisco frontline number(Link mentioned below).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

We will definitely help you out with the same.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Ok thanks for the solution, i have two questions, the configuration could work with general mode untag vlan1 /tagged vlan 10 and voice vlan -> 10 with smartport configuration ?  For the pbx who deliver dhcp VLAN 10 i need to use access mode vlan 10 port and forbiden Vlan 1 ? THanks

Hi,

General more works only with those devices who do not use Dot1Q trunking encapsulation. In case your phone supports Dot1Q encapsulation for trunking it will work in trunk mode only.

Also  you will have to create DHCP server for both data VLAN and voice VLAN.

In case your PBX provides DHCP for VLAN 10 and you can create a DHCP server somewhere else because SG200 switches do not have DHCP server feature.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X