cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100 mbps devices not working on new 9200 switches

ColeB20570
Level 1
Level 1

There is a lot to unpack here so bear with me!

Sh run and sh ver are attached.

Recently replaced 5 older switches with 9200-48P's running 17.03.04. Ran into an issue with some older devices that are 100mbps and have static IP's. They are unable to connect to the network. Most of these are printers of different models.

So far we've change IP's, changed NIC (so MAC), changed cables, made sure the printer firmware is updated, and changed settings on the ports. Removed all QOS from the ports. Set speed to 100 and tried auto. Set duplex to auto, full, and half. I've downgraded the firmware to 16.12.06.

The devices work fine when we installed a 3500 switch in place just to verify the runs aren't bad. We have like 12 devices having this issue.

When I do sho int summery on the interfaces we only see OQD going up.

Interface IHQ IQD OHQ OQD RXBS RXPS TXBS TXPS TRTL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* GigabitEthernet1/0/36 0  0      0  629928 0        0       0       0        0

Port shows connected.
Gi1/0/36 connected 38 a-full a-100 10/100/1000BaseTX

2WestTEST#sh int gi1/0/36
GigabitEthernet1/0/36 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is c44d.8439.7924 (bia c44d.8439.7924)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
input flow-control is on, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Input queue: 0/2000/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 42010
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
1180 packets input, 175607 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 1169 broadcasts (360 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 360 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
3 packets output, 208 bytes, 0 underruns
Output 0 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 10 interface resets
0 unknown protocol drops
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

We are at a complete loss as to why this is happening. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
28 Replies 28

Correct. Powers up, gets an IP, pulls files, and makes calls.

Robbie3
Level 1
Level 1

I am recently experiencing the exact same issue on ver 17.3.3, C9200-48P,  100 Mbs devices originally worked until recently, with no change iOS change or running config change?

Device reloaded, cables tested, other devices 1Gbs work fine on the same ports, the 100Mbs devices do work when placing an unmanaged switch/hub between the switch and patch. 

Configured speed auto 10 100, and removing POE port config as suggested in this post doesnt work for us.

It would suggest there is a problem with negotiate as you guys highlighted already. Curious if you found another solution?

Ive read several reports downgrading to 16.2.x has solved issues for some, I will test and report back later in a few weeks

For some reason, this issue keeps being marked as solved. It has not been fixed. Have a case open with TAC and they still have no solution. We did downgrade to ver 16.12.06 and that did not fix the issue. We also tried removing all QoS from the ports, same issue.

Was the "reload" command used (during the firmware downgrade) or was the stack underwent a power down and up?

Yes the single switch was rebooted using reload after the new version was downloaded to the switch.
Just downgraded one switch for testing. The other switches are in service and being used by many other devices.

COLD reboot the switch (pull the power cable, wait for 5 seconds, apply power).

This was also done, as the switch was moved to a different area after being downgraded.

I read on another thread in reddit, v16.12.4 was successful hoping to test this in the New year. 

ColeB20570
Level 1
Level 1

Downgraded to 16.12.03a and the devices have started working again. Going to give it a few day before I declare this has been solved. Downgraded yesterday afternoon and everything is still working this morning. 

Good to know it is working. 

Just a reminder:

• Keep an eye out on the CPU and memory level of the switch/stack.  Use the command "sh platform software status con brief".  The output is self-explanatory.
  • When it comes to IOS-XE, it is highly recommended to reboot/reload the stack every 6 months.

Excellent, Im hoping for the same result thanks for posting a reply. 

Do we know if this is something that has been fixed in the later versions of 17.x? 

wsyrnick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Based on your show run, you hit https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvz76172.

17.6.2/17.3.5 have a fix.

Thanks,

Wojciech

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card