cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 - I can ping and tracert but not browse

patrsup
Level 1
Level 1

I am still working on the switching and routing at a small school. I have the 1841 hanging off port 48 on my 3750 switch and it connects to the router in port 1.

I am trying to get this 1841 to host several ubiquity access points and provide basic dhcp services. The 3750 is doing well with its setup I believe.

I have included the three configs i have.

Thanks in advance for your time

pat

64 Replies 64

I was going to put the configs on the spare 1900 and two 3750's. stage in the rack and cutover sometime after 3:30pm est when the students and faculty are gone.

Okay, so I am 5 hours ahead of you.

What do you mean by the spare 1900 ie. we are only going to replace the 1841 with a spare 3750 or are you thinking of something else as well ?

Do you want to wait until after they have gone ?

Basically you can get your spare 3750 ready now and I can give you the commands but the rest is on your existing equipment.

Jon

That is fine, I had a spare 1941 an several 3750's and was going to put the configs on them and bring them up and just move them into production after the kids were gone but I can work on the existing stuff if you can let me know what I have to do

thanks again

So on your spare 3750, power it up but don't connect it to your distribution switch yet.

Then on the spare 3750 -

switch(config)# vtp mode transparent

then pick a new unused vlan number ie. it must not be used on your existing 3750.

This vlan will be for the APs.

switch(config)# vlan <num>
switch(config)# name <whatever you want>

and if you do a "sh vlan brief" you should see it.

Couple of things -

1) do you know if the APs need to have trunk connections ie. pass more than one vlan or do they just need to be in one vlan ?

2) once I know the above you can configure the ports on the spare 3750 that the APs connect to.

Then you have to connect your spare 3750 to the existing one.

Before you do that though you need to create the same vlan on your existing 3750 using the same commands as above and we need to set your existing 3750 to be the STP root for alll vlans

This is the bit that may affect the network temporarily so up to you whether we connect them now or wait.

Can you confirm the above.

Jon

no trunk connection required - they can be in the same vlan -

This is what I have on the spare currently

I did a wri e so there is nothing else on the switch

So the spare is configured as above and the ports for the APs are in the new vlan ?

If so if it is now a question of connecting the switches up (after the STP part on your existing 3750) then adding a L3 interface for the new vlan, plus the DHCP pool to your existing 3750.

Then we need to tidy up the configuration in terms of routing and on the 1900 tidy up acls and NAT configuration.

Ideally I would also like to change the connection on the existing 3750 to the 1900 to be a L3 routed port but this will definitely mean an outage while we do it.

Let me know what you want to do now or whether you want to wait.

Jon

ok - the vlan is configured on the spare and the ports assigned to it.

There is not a lot more we can do now other than wait unless you are prepared for an outage.

You can create the vlan on the existing 3750 switch if you want but don't create a L3 vlan interface for it yet because currently that is on the 1841.

Once you can have an outage let me know and then we can disconnect the 1841, connect up the 3750 and configure the rest that is needed.

Jon

OK - i can move along now if you still have some time

First thing is on the existing 3750 do a "sh vlan brief".

Make sure you have added the new vlan.

Then on the existing 3750 add this command -

"spanning-tree vlan <list> priority 8192"

where <list> is just a comma separated list of the vlans.

Once you have done that connect the new 3750 to the existing 3750.

We are going to configure it as a trunk so you can add other vlans/IP subnets if you want so the ports that connect the switches -

int gi<x/y>
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk

then do a "sh int trunk" on both switches and you see it up/up.

Do the above and come back.

By the way, what is the new vlan number you are using ?

Jon

Got that - learning a lot here already see vlans allowed on the trunk. The new vlan for the wireless is 56

Good, so now you need to -

create a L3 interface for vlan 56 on your existing 3750 eg.

int vlan 56
ip address x.x.x.x <subnet mask>
no shut

and then you need to configure the DHCP pool you had on the 1841 on the existing 3750.

I am assuming you have disconnected the 1841 and moved the APs to the new 3750.

If not you should.

I need you to answer a couple more questions -

1) on your existing 3750 you have a DHCP pool and L3 interface for 172.23.1.0/24.

The L3 interface is down and you have a route for that subnet pointing to the 1900.

What is this ?

2) on the 1900 you have a route for 10.53.198.0/24 pointing to 192.168.1.3.

What is 192.168.1.3 ?

Jon

Ignore the question about 172.23.1.0/24, it's just that there are routes that don't need to be there and we will clean them up.

Still need to know what 192.168.1.3 is though.

Jon

sorry - lost my connection to the internet

create a L3 interface for vlan 56 on your existing 3750 eg. - done

int vlan 56
ip address x.x.x.x <subnet mask>
no shut

and then you need to configure the DHCP pool you had on the 1841 on the existing 3750.

I am assuming you have disconnected the 1841 and moved the APs to the new 3750. - Yes

ng 3750 you have a DHCP pool and L3 interface for 172.23.1.0/24.

The L3 interface is down and you have a route for that subnet pointing to the 1900. - Removed -

What is this ?

2) on the 1900 you have a route for 10.53.198.0/24 pointing to 192.168.1.3.

What is 192.168.1.3 ? - switch i never installed

So does that mean you are not using 10.53.198.0/24 ?

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card